Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about Ghost Shows?

Thinking about it, may I also recommend this:

I watched it when it was broadcast about five or six years ago. It's a nicely put-together documentary, I think.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Perhaps I'll look into that.

Received the season 1 and 2 box-set of A HAUNTING yesterday.
    Which particular episodes struck you as the most evocative, Paul?
    Anyone else care to comment on particular eps of A HAUNTING?
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Episode #3 of Season 3 of "A Haunting" is about a house in the town I live in. No idea what house and where though, never heard anything about this "haunting" until I saw it on the show!

I tried a few episodes of A HAUNTING. "The Haunting of Summerwind" from the first season offers a story with close parallels to my own experience. It has some tense, one might even say scary moments.

I'm no fan of "whoosh" noises over fast zooms with dropped frames, however. Schizo camerawork isn't scary, it takes one out of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
    I'm no fan of "whoosh" noises over fast zooms with dropped frames, however. Schizo camerawork isn't scary, it takes one out of the story.
    Agreed. I think some of the stylistic elements detract from the stories being told, but nevertheless the series is fascinating for allowing the participants to speak for themselves.

The Summerwind episode was pretty good. I'm racking my brains, as I haven't watched the series for a while, but I remember 'Demon Child', 'Sallie's House', 'House of the Dead', 'Dark Forest' and 'Fear House' being highlights. There's an odd episode in series 3, 'The Wheatsheaf Horror', which is set in the north of England and features some of the worst attempts at a British regional accent that I've ever seen.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

I'll check out those episodes tonight. Any one of those episodes mirror your own experience, Paul? For that matter, has any program or film mirrored your own experience?

I relate most to The Haunting (1963) and the aforementioned "The Haunting of Summerwind." There is a bit of Turn of Screw in that experience, as well.

I like Ghost Hunters and watch it weekly. Can't really stomach the dudes in the other ghost hunting shows.
    Also, I catch A Haunting and Paranormal Witness occasionally. They can be pretty entertaining.
    Mad Dog's Music

I'll check out those episodes tonight. Any one of those episodes mirror your own experience, Paul? For that matter, has any program or film mirrored your own experience?

I relate most to The Haunting (1963) and the aforementioned "The Haunting of Summerwind." There is a bit of Turn of Screw in that experience, as well.
    I'm not ignoring you here, Richard. I'm just waiting for some time to give you a more thoughtful reply than I'm able to at the moment - perhaps when the kids have gone to bed this evening.

Did anyone ever catch the MY GHOST STORY show that Richard mentioned a few pages back? I've recently acquired the first three seasons (via illicit means, but needs must...) but haven't watched them yet.

Which episode from which season shot in the mansion used for Dark Shadows? I want to see that episode.

Locations are a pre-occupation of mine. I've done location management for indy productions. Dark Shadows shot in three different mansions. One of them burned down decades ago. That leaves either Seaview Hotel at Newport, Rhode Island or the Lyndhurst Mansion in Tarrytown, New York. The latter is a glorious place, an 1840s-era example of American's Gothic Revival in architecture. I wrote a Colonial Gothic ghost story to shoot there. Now all I need is the money.
    I watched the Dark Shadows episode last night. It's the first episode on the first disc of the Ghost Hunters Season Seven Part Two DVD set. It's the Rhode Island location that they investigate. They give a good but brief history of the location before investigating and capture some interesting evidence, some bits slightly more compelling than others.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Still watching episodes of A HAUNTING. "The Haunting of Summerwind" remains my favorite so far. What that haunting does to the family individually and collectively is true to life. Living in a constant state of anxiety and dread over occurrences you can't explain or prove and feelings you can't explain either, or share. Like the wife hiding a kitchen knife on her person in case she has to use it on her husband if he becomes violent or won't let them leave. Like the good husband gradually losing his mind to the demon and turning hostile, he then abandons the family, perhaps for their own protection from him, because he knows he'll never be quite right in the head again although he has no idea what's gone wrong with him. I part from the episode in the third act when her brother and father decide to buy and renovate the place. Nothing is said in the episode about the family's faith, if they practiced a religion, or if it played a part in what happened or in their recovery, as it often does in real life.

I firmly believe in paranormal activity. But I also know it cannot be photographed, not even on infrared film or ultra-violet video. My advice to people who are stuck in a haunted house: 1) don't get angry, 2) stick together in twos or more all the time, 3) remove all the inside doors, including bathroom and closet doors, and place them outside the house or in the barn somewhere, and 4) stay out of basements. The more isolated one is the more vulnerable.

I just received the documentary A Haunting In Connecticut (2002) and the feature film The Haunting In Connecticut (2010). Rented Silent House. Twice as much too catch up on. Later tonight we're going to see Paranormal Activity 4.
    Last edited by Richard--W; 10-19-2012 at 09:58 PM.