Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What the world needs now is a Charles Bronson thread.

MR. MAJESTYK is rad. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is radder.

I love Charlie Bronson, unless we're talking about the episode of the Twilight Zone that he's in.

Favorite Bronson's:

Breakheart Pass (1975) - And probably in my top five movies all time. Ed Lauter and Robert Tessier, so many great actors in this. David Huddleston, Charles Durning! I never get sick of watching this.

Death Hunt (1981) - So good. All of Bronson's 70's flicks are just filled with great actors. William Sanderson, Andrew Stevens. Ed Lauter shows up.

White Buffalo (1977) - Goofy but great. Makes a fun double feature with Death Hunt when you want more Bronson on snow action. Kim Novak, John Carradine, Martin Kove! Ed Lauter shows up.

Chato's Land (1972) - He's more of a presence, I think he has only two lines? But man what a great flick. Jack Palance's death scene is a favorite, it just goes on and on.

Evil that Men Do (1984) Favorite of his later sleazier output. Great Mexico locations!

THE EVIL THAT MEN DO is a favorite of mine as well. I like Mexican grunge movies and all those films Bronson did with J. Lee Thompson. Do you watch the Columbia DVD or the Hens' Tooth DVD? isn't one of them cut? There were censorship issues with one of the DVD's as I recall.

Name:  EvilThatMenDo-1984.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  96.2 KB
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

I have the Columbia dvd. Not sure if it's cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
    THE EVIL THAT MEN DO is a favorite of mine as well. I like Mexican grunge movies and all those films Bronson did with J. Lee Thompson. Do you watch the Columbia DVD or the Hens' Tooth DVD? isn't one of them cut? There were censorship issues with one of the DVD's as I recall.

Name:  EvilThatMenDo-1984.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  96.2 KB
    My cousin wrote this film. He loved Charlie - he also spent every day on the set that this was filmed (HIGHLY unusual for a writer). I've been pestering him for years to write a book about the making of this film and his memories of Bronson. My favorite story is how he wrote the "bi-sexual swinger's" bar dialog and expected Bronson to reject it outright but Charlie thought it was great. Its a highlight of the film.

How cool. I get a kick out of the film. Try to persuade him to write an article about it at least. A reminiscence. He can post it right here on Rock! Shock! Pop! Does your cuz still write scripts?

Rad.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Cordier View Post
    My cousin wrote this film. He loved Charlie - he also spent every day on the set that this was filmed (HIGHLY unusual for a writer). I've been pestering him for years to write a book about the making of this film and his memories of Bronson. My favorite story is how he wrote the "bi-sexual swinger's" bar dialog and expected Bronson to reject it outright but Charlie thought it was great. Its a highlight of the film.
    Holy cats. This is awesome, Horace.

Watched THE EVIL THAT MEN DO (1984) for the first time in ages. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The South American locations add so much to a film. You can't get that atmosphere and sensibility in the states. I'd forgotten just how brutal the violence is. That fight where Bronson attacks the muscle-man's crotch made me cringe for as long it lasted, and it lasted awhile. An original premise and solid writing. Liked the writing, Horace. My compliments to your cousin.

Bronson's wife and actress Jill Ireland is listed as an exec producer but she doesn't co-star in this one. I guess it was too nasty for her.

They were a good team, Bronson and J. Lee Thompson. They did how many, 7 or 8 or 9 movies together. Thompson was adept at everything a director needs to be adept at. Composition, timing, actors and non-actors, choreography, staging action, telling a story, creating suspense, pitch and tone. I wish Thompson had directed the James Bond film LICENCE TO KILL (1989) instead of that plodding mediocrity John Glen. LICENCE TO KILL also takes place in South America, but the direction is all over the map. If J. Lee Thompson had directed LICENCE TO KILL it would have been a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Richard--W; 07-02-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Cordier View Post
    My cousin wrote this film.
    Get outta here........