Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Walking Dead Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
    My point is that walking dead / living dead films are not zombie films. Somewhere along the way the terms became confused. A zombie is not a cannibal. The living dead, as postulated by Romero and hordes of imitators, is a cannibal. A zombie film is Caribbean Gothic and voodoo -- captured, hypnotized souls with no life signs as in White Zombie (1933), I Walked With a Zombie (1943), Plague of the Zombies (1966) and The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988). Whereas Romero's films and the AMC series are survival / apocalyptic horror. I think the Italian films started the confusion by mixing up two different concepts, "zombie" with "living dead."

In other words there are no zombies in either Dawn of the Dead nor AMC's Walking Dead.

Right?
    Right. I store my Italio cannibal movie next to the flesh eating living dead movies for that very reason. People eating people.

I'm all for voodoo zombies making a comeback, but I don't think the public will accept anything other than the living dead flesh eaters at this point. Little Johhny X-Box doesn't care about the merit of Jacques Tourneur's I WALK WITH A ZOMBIE. Throughout the years it's been ingrained in pop culture (MJ's THRILLER, Resident Evil), while the voodoo zombies have fallen under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by sukebanboy View Post
    Surprised nobody made THE DANCING DEAD yet though!!
    Thriller did it, so we're done. It's all been done. No need for more dead stuff...

WAIT!! PILING TOWERS AND WAVES OF RUNNING DEAD!!!!

To be fair the definition of zombie has changed throughout the generations:

As you said, it was originally a term for someone put under a spell or fed drugs to become a mindless slave.

Then it became a term for the resurrected dead who eat the living.

Now it represents human beings without emotion/identity who are rabid and kill/eat other humans.

In another 20-30 years the term may come to represent something else that purists will take issue with.

The theme of loss of humanity/identity remains consistent.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 11-11-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

It's George Romero's fault. All he had to do was one time say "not zombies" in a movie. His stubborn refusal to use the zed word caused all this.

Now I have to go and re-arrange my shelves, fucker.

If he called them vampires then Richard Matheson would've sued his ass off. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
    This series should put an end to zombie feature films forever.

Why go to a theater to see a new zombie movie when it's television all the time?

As an aside, how did living dead movies become mis-labeled zombie movies? Was it the Italians who mis-used the word zombie originally?
    By that logic no one would watch any other Slasher films if they watched the Friday the 13th or Halloween series.

Or STAR WARS after they watched Sesame Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    If he called them vampires then Richard Matheson would've sued his ass off. :D
    I love Matheson's writing (fuckin' A the man wrote classic TWILIGHT ZONE episodes!) but he can be a pedantic ass at times. His whole virulent disdain for "horror" is absurd. He claims he wrote "terror" films and novels. Uh, sorry dude - but if that thing with a Zuni fetish doll running around stabbing the shit out of a crazy chick isn't a horror setup then CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is a nature film.

Re: I Really Hate The Walking Dead

Great. More re-shelving.

Get to work whore!