Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Paranormal Activity Movies...

The Paranormal Activity Movies...

I've got to say, I don't put a lot of stock into "modern horror", just because so much of it is rehashed nonsense that's ripped from some movie that worked well in the past....and I'm of the opinion that if it works, why change it? Why do you need to remake a film, or blatantly rip it off? But, I keep checking this stuff out, on the off chance that something kickass will come along.

Yesterday, I watched PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2. And my initial response was that it was a piece of garbage. However, after thinking about it.....it did have some coolness. If you saw the first one, you probably either liked it or hated it. There's not a lot of grey area in there, according to most of the folks that I talked to. I thought it was pretty decently done, despite some CGI crapulence at the end.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 needs to be watched with part 1 in mind. My problem upon initial viewing was that it's been so long since i saw part 1, i missed most of the significance. It follows a similar method, the story is told through the use of video cameras, both handheld and installed security cameras. The filmmakers definitely used that to their advantage, and there are some genuinely creepy atmospheric static shots in there. One of the things that creeps me out the most in real life (don't tell anyone), are unfamiliar surroundings when they're...dead quiet. And dark. So a static shot of the dark kitchen at 3 in the morning, even though nothing happens in the minute that it's up on screen, is enough to raise the hairs on the back of my neck.

More subtle than a series of jump scares, it's a well thought-out film, even though the payoff is in the discussion of the film after the fact. Without giving away any spoilers, you need to take into account that a large part of this film takes place immediately before PA1. Although there is a title that comes up "60 Days before the death of Micah Sloat", if you're like me and saw the film more than 10 minutes ago, you have no idea who Micah is.

Anyhoo, worth checking out, if you even mildly enjoyed the first film.

I wanna see this. Not much else to add except that I liked the first one and am curious to see where they go with the follow up.

The only other thing, I thought that i mentioned it, was that the only ending of Part 1 that makes sense with this film is the one that they showed in the theatre, the demon smile end. If you use the other endings that were on the DVD or youtube, they don't work.

I've seen the alternates and the theatrical ending so I should be good.

Well, let me know what you think when you do see it. Now that i've been talking about it with Nadene, and clueing into all of these things....it's like watching MEMENTO a second time around, when you already know what's what, and you're like, "ooooohhhhhh, now i get that.". Haha.

I'll definitely catch it on video.

I saw it on Halloween and didn't care for it, the only part I kinda dug was the dad being named Daniel Rey and the daughter having those Misfits and Ramones posters on her wall

I liked the Daniel Rey thing too. Haha. I thought that i might've been the only one who caught it. The Ramones poster was cool, but when they added the Misfits poster, I thought "trying too hard". Which is funny, because my room was covered with "trying too hard" punk rock posters when i was a teenager....Pistols, Ramones, Clash, DK......and Tim Burton's Batman. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I liked the Daniel Rey thing too. Haha. I thought that i might've been the only one who caught it. The Ramones poster was cool, but when they added the Misfits poster, I thought "trying too hard". Which is funny, because my room was covered with "trying too hard" punk rock posters when i was a teenager....Pistols, Ramones, Clash, DK......and Tim Burton's Batman. :D
    I think that's part of being a teenager...I had Black Flag, Ramones and DK posters everywhere. It was ok I suppose, granted we never saw the first one
    "I don't eat at taco joints unless there's a lawn care truck parked out front" - me

Apparently, the tie-in with the first one helps it make more sense. I saw the first one ages ago, and didn't remember any of it, so the second one didn't really do much for me. Once i realized the connection with the first one, it was like, Oooooohhhhh....that's cool.