Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spaghetti Western thread

The Spaghetti Western thread

We need a thread to talk about italian westerns in, dammit.

What are 10 that you think everyone should see? I made it 10 instead of 5, since if I had made it 5, all we'd we talking about is Leone. I've seen all the Leone and Corbucci, and I want to know what else I'm missing. You guys go first, and then I'll hit you with some of my faves.

I'm game. I'm actually gonna leave Leone out of this though as I think it goes without saying his films need to be seen.

So in no particular order....

The Great Silence
    Face To Face
    The Big Gundown
    Django
    Django The Bastard
    Cut Throats Nine
    Day of Anger
    The Grand Duel
    Death Rides A Horse
    Cemetery Without Crosses

There are lots more though, but those are what popped into my head first.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Django The Bastard
    Cemetery Without Crosses
    Oh man, those are two I haven't seen. I'll add them to my want list.

Do it! Django The Bastard was Eastwood's inspiration for High Plains Drifter, so it's nice and dark and kinda spooky.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Here are the non-Leone ten that I'm high on at the moment (in no order):

The Hellbenders (1967) Starring Jospeh Cotton
    A Man Called Sledge (1970) Starring James Garner
    Day Of Anger (1967 Starring Lee Van Cleef
    Blindman (1971) Starring Ringo Starr
    Face to Face (1967) Starring Thomas Millian
    The Mercenary (1968) Starring Franco Nero
    A Bullet for the General (1966) Starring Lou Castel
    Django Kill... If you live, shoot! (1967) Starring Thomas Millian
    And God Said to Cain (1969) Starring Klaus Kinski

Out of that list the only one I haven't seen is A Man Called Sledge. The others are top notch choices. Face To Face rules. Almost anything with Lee Van Cleef in it also rules.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Name:  The-Stranger-and-the-Gunfighter.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  52.8 KB

This one is also fun. I have a soft spot for the East Meets Western mash up. Fighting Fists Of Shanghai Joe also kicks lots of ass.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

One I would add to the list would be "Keoma". I know many consider the theme song to be annoying, but it really grew on me (to the point that I sought out the De Angelis bros. soundtrack to download after watching the movie). And you gotta love Franco Nero. The movie came out very late in the game for Italian Westerns. Even though you might suspect that by this point in time he would be simply going through the motions, he never gives less than 110%.

In any event, coincidentally I'm currently in the process of expanding my spaghetti western knowledge/collection. I just ordered the Timeless Media Group "Best of Spaghetti Westerns" box set (containing "Cemetery Without Crosses" and 19 others) along with "Death Rides A Horse" over the weekend. Once I digest some of those titles hopefully I'll be able to add some commentary to this thread.

I'm curious as to the quality on that boxed set, Dave. I've got the OOP German fancy edition of Cemetery and it's a good one. The boxed set might have a port of that transfer in it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'm not sure as to the source of "Cimitero Senza Croci" on that box set, but apparently it's got a similar runtime to the old German DVD (87 min.). The reviews on the set have been overall fairly favorable compared to most of the budget sets on the market. Although it appears that many of the films may have been clipped by a few minutes, all but one are widescreen (albeit not anamorphic, unfortunately). I've currently only got 14 spaghetti westerns in my collection (all 5 Leones, along with the old Anchor Bay and Blue Underground box sets), so at this point I'm looking for as much bang for buck as possible and at $12 for 20 films I couldn't pass it up. Comparatively, I paid ~$14 for the single Wild East edition of "Death Rides a Horse". I pulled a similar move to quickly expand my poliziotteschi collection this past summer by picking up the three Pop Flix budget sets. These don't always look so great blown up on my 61" home theater display, but make for great viewing on the portable DVD player I use to watch stuff on my lunch hour at work.

By the way Ian, I just read your review of the VCI spaghetti western collection that includes "Django the Bastard" on DVD Talk. Sounds like another inexpensive multi-film set I need to pick up.

Speaking of spaghetti westerns, I was channel surfing yesterday and caught the beginning of "Once Upon a Time in the West" on the Universal HD channel. Not really the best way to watch the movie though -- the image is clipped down to fit a widescreen television and the additional of endless commercials extended the runtime to an excrutiating length. I started to watch the movie in the bedroom, moved out to the family room, went back to the bedroom later to lay down to take a nap, woke up and it was still going. I never did get to the end. At one point my daughter came in to sit on the couch and asked what I was watching. Her reaction: "that guy's been crawling through the mud for like 10 minutes".