Page 10 of 95 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spaghetti Western thread

Sounds worthwhile, I'll put this on my want list. Thanks Andrew.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I've got EL ROJO on order. I was tempted by the new WE release of MASSACRE TIME, for the sole reason that it includes the alternate dub, but although I like the film I don't think I can justify buying a third DVD release of the movie (after the Thai and Italian DVDs, the latter of which I'm more than satisfied with). I've obsessively bought all of the WE releases over the years, but have found myself skipping almost every release since the Peter Lee Lawrence double bill because most of them (eg, DEATH RIDES A HORSE, the REVEREND COLT/SON OF DJANGO double-bill) have been double or in some cases triple dips.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    It's a good one, pretty offbeat. Revenge story with a lot of horror elements, the most memorable being an extended stalking scene in a mine that wouldn't be out of place in a slasher. Very violent deaths, early on some children are shot with arrows. A hired killer wears a bizarre half mask on his face...all in all well worth checking out. Oh, and Navarro looks simply gorgeous too.

This was one of Franco Cleef's last projects - several years ago. That's why I say I wish WE would do something a little rarer, though I know that's not really fair in this case as it's a dvd-r. Still hard to get too worked up over these recent releases.
    Is Franco Cleef no longer doing projects? I haven't emailed him in a year or so. I sure hope not - he did good work, and was a nice guy to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane C. View Post
    Is Franco Cleef no longer doing projects? I haven't emailed him in a year or so. I sure hope not - he did good work, and was a nice guy to boot.
    Zane, I can't say he'll never do another but it has been a long time since his last one. The last time I was in contact with him he was working on DRUMMER OF VENGEANCE (was really excited about this, it's a very quirky, low budget sw and I only have a fullscreen copy), that never came out and as far as I know he hasn't done anything since. Don't know why - I hope it wasn't any kind of a crisis or anything. As you say, he is a very nice guy.

Okay, I caved and got EL ROJO - it's a big improvement on Franco Cleef's disc. A little dark in spots but still very nice. It's almost worth getting this for the extras alone - and the the film is a solid second tier sw - there's a 90 minute doc on the 2011 LA Spaghetti Western Film Festival! It's got Q&As with the likes of Robert Woods, Mark Damon, Richard Harrison, Jack Betts aka Hunt Powers, Brett Halsey, etc. Moderated by sw expert Tom Betts. This is a fantastic watch. A bunch of Richard Harrison sw trailers too.

Thanks for the tip, Andrew. I guess I need this now.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Yeah, I think you'd get a real kick out of watching the doc, Ian. Tom Betts is the perfect moderator, he knows just what to ask. Funny, I am sure I spotted Franco Cleef in the lobby at the begining of the doc, haha. He once sent me some pictures of himself at another western event and I recognized him.

I'm trying real hard to overcome my resistance to spaghetti westerns. I bought Fulci's THE BRUTE AND THE BEAST and EL ROJO from Wild East, DEAD MEN RIDE from a reliable ebay cloner of unobtainable foreign DVDs, Tonino Valerii's THE PRICE OF POWER on Triple-X, and THE BOUNTY KILLER from Germany. The two latter films impressed me in a public domain set and I want to see them in better quality. I hope to find another spaghetti western as good as CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES.

THE BRUTE AND THE BEAST is early in Fulci's career. Would anyone say it exhibits the same personality as his 1970s and 1980s genre films?

CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES is a very fine sw, if you liked that and PRICE OF POWER I'd recommend some of the other films we already discussed like CALIFORNIA, THE RETURN OF RINGO or DEATH RIDES A HORSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
    THE BRUTE AND THE BEAST is early in Fulci's career. Would anyone say it exhibits the same personality as his 1970s and 1980s genre films?
    MASSACRE TIME (I much prefer that title to THE BRUTE AND THE BEAST) has an extended whipping scene, that while not explicit like he would get later, shows Fulci's fascination with suffering early on. That said, it's a much more traditional western than his later FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE and SILVER SADDLE. I also think it's his best western. It has a solid story, wonderful score, and the ending has some amazingly poetic imagery - it's a finale that gives me goosebumps even after multiple viewings.

Actually, I should ammend this. SILVER SADDLE is fairly traditional but it's not one I'm very fond of. Has one of the most annoying kids to ever sully a western.
    Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 07-09-2012 at 12:06 PM.