Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spaghetti Western thread

The VCI set is good if you don't have the single discs, otherwise... it's the same.

There's a Mill Creek pack out you might want to look into, it has the following titles in it:

3 Bullets for Ringo
    And God Said To Cain
    Apache Blood
    Ben and Charlie
    Between God, the Devil and a Winchester
    Beyond the Law
    Boot Hill
    Challenge to White Fang
    China 9, Liberty 37
    Dead For A Dollar
    Dead Men Don't Make Shadows
    Death Rides a Horse
    Deserter, The
    Django Kills
    Django vs. Sartana
    Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe, The
    Find a Place to Die
    Fistful of Lead
    Four of the Apocalypse
    Four Rode Out
    Grand Duel
    Great Adventure, The
    Hate Thy Neighbor
    His Name Was King...
    If You Meet Sartana, Pray For Death
    It Can Be Done Amigo
    Jesse and Lester
    Johnny Yuma
    Keoma
    Kid Vengeance
    Man from Nowhere
    Manhunt, The
    Mannaja
    Minnesota Clay
    Price of Power, The
    Run, Man, Run
    Strangers Gundown, The (This is the same movie as Django the Bastard, just retitled)
    Sundance and the Kid
    They Call Him Cemetery
    This Man Can't Die
    Trinity and Sartana
    Unholy Four, The
    White Comanche
    White Fang and the Hunter

I've no idea as to the quality, but that's a pretty good selection and there are some uncommon titles in there.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post

I've no idea as to the quality, but that's a pretty good selection and there are some uncommon titles in there.

I have it, it's pretty awesome even though most of the titles transfers are not all that great.

That is a good selection, best I've seen for a budget set.

Can't argue with the price either. With that said, has there ever been a genre pillaged in the PD multipack sets the way the Spaghetti Western has? I can't imagine that all of those titles are actually public domain, nor can I imagine that they've been licensed.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Yeah, it's hard to pass up 44 movies for ten bucks, even though I kind of cringe at the thought of what most of these transfers probably look like. I just spent five times that today to order copies of "The Big Gundown", "Day of Anger" and "Face to Face".

And in other SW news, I see that a nice transfer of "Death Rides A Horse" became available today on Netflix Instant. Murphy's Law in action apparently, as I just ordered this DVD over the past weekend (although I'll gladly add the disc to my growing western collection).

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Bougie View Post
    Oh man, those are two I haven't seen. I'll add them to my want list.
    Let me check my collection - may be able to help you, Robin! PM me if you're interested.

Coming from Mill Creek 1/10/2012:

Fistful of Bullets – 16 Spaghetti Western Films
    Sixteen specially selected classic Western films starring Lee Van Cleef, Richard Harrison, Jack Palance, Klaus Kinski and many more!
    · 4 DVDs
    · $9.98 MSRP
    o Apache Blood, Between God, the Devil and a Winchester, Beyond the Law, Death Rides a Horse, The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe, Find a Place to Die, Fistful of Lead, God's Gun, Grand Duel, Gunfight at Red Sand, It Can Be Done Amigo, Johnny Yuma, Sundance and the Kid, This Man Can't Die, Trinity and Sartana, Twice a Judas, Death Rides a Horse

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I received the Timeless Media Group "Best of Spaghetti Westerns" box set recently and started watching the first movie, "No Room to Die" (aka "Una Lunga Fila Di Croci"), yesterday. The picture and sound are excellent -- much better than I would normally expect from a budget box set. Pretty cool movie too, featuring Anthony Steffen and William Berger as a pair of bounty hunters tracking down a ring of illegal immigrant smugglers. Lots of action and Berger uses this kick ass multi-barrelled rifle contraption...

Name:  noroom_01b.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  6.6 KB

The only downside is that the films are non-anamorphic. I was hoping to watch these on my portable DVD player during my lunch breaks at work, but the player doesn't zoom properly so the image looks pretty small on the 7" screen. I'll finish this first film, but I might wait to watch the rest on my home TV (61" DLP) instead.

To follow up on my previous post, I finally figured out how to properly zoom a non-anamorphic image on my portable DVD player (had to get my Dorado Films' "Dick Malloy Agent 077" discs to display properly at 2.35:1 instead of squeezed to 1.78:1), so now that I can watch these without the picture being so small I'll continue with the Timeless Media Group spaghetti western movies on my lunch breaks.

In other SW news, I took the opportunity to watch "Death Rides A Horse" (aka "Da Uomo A Uomo" -- a much more fitting title I think) last night. Excellent revenge western; I can see now why it has such a sterling reputation. The Wild East DVD video quality is top notch and highly recommended for anyone who doesn't already have this in their collection. I'll likely follow this up by watching Giulio Petroni's "A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof" (included in the TMG box set) and tracking down a copy of "Tepepa" as well.

To follow up on my last post, I watched "A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof" (aka "...E Per Tetto Un Cielo Di Stelle") recently. Decent enough, but not nearly as good as Petroni's previous "Death Rides A Horse". The 'feel' of the movie is a bit strange -- co-stars Giuliano Gemma and Mario Adorf bumble their way through a variety of goofy money-making schemes (including a mermaid side-show attraction), but there is a serious undertone in the background as well. I had been listening to the Ennio Morricone soundtrack before watching and didn't care for it too much, but the music works better in the context of the film and the main theme is good regardless. Once again the video and audio presentation in the Timeless Media Group box set is very good, albeit non-anamorphic. Certainly not an essential SW film then, but a worthwhile pick up as part of the set nevertheless.

Now to continue on with my Giulio Petroni viewing by finding a copy of "Tepapa"; which leads to another bit of information that I wanted to post. I recently ordered three dvd-r's through cultcine.com. I placed the order in early December and received the movies three weeks later. So far so good, except that the padded mailer the DVD cases had been packed in looked like it had been handled by the Samsonite Gorilla. The cases were crushed and broken, and the discs loose in the cases and severely scratched. I've sent three e-mails to the seller hoping to get replacements, but so far no response. The guy's got a great selection of spaghetti westerns as well as a few other odds and ends, but they generally ain't cheap and with the lack of customer service I would at this time have to recommend everyone avoid this website.