Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spaghetti Western thread

Thanks for the heads up, Dave, I'd actually been browsing that site the other day.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Starry View Post
    To follow up on my last post, I watched "A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof" (aka "...E Per Tetto Un Cielo Di Stelle") recently. Decent enough, but not nearly as good as Petroni's previous "Death Rides A Horse". The 'feel' of the movie is a bit strange -- co-stars Giuliano Gemma and Mario Adorf bumble their way through a variety of goofy money-making schemes (including a mermaid side-show attraction), but there is a serious undertone in the background as well. I had been listening to the Ennio Morricone soundtrack before watching and didn't care for it too much, but the music works better in the context of the film and the main theme is good regardless. Once again the video and audio presentation in the Timeless Media Group box set is very good, albeit non-anamorphic. Certainly not an essential SW film then, but a worthwhile pick up as part of the set nevertheless.

Now to continue on with my Giulio Petroni viewing by finding a copy of "Tepapa"; which leads to another bit of information that I wanted to post. I recently ordered three dvd-r's through cultcine.com. I placed the order in early December and received the movies three weeks later. So far so good, except that the padded mailer the DVD cases had been packed in looked like it had been handled by the Samsonite Gorilla. The cases were crushed and broken, and the discs loose in the cases and severely scratched. I've sent three e-mails to the seller hoping to get replacements, but so far no response. The guy's got a great selection of spaghetti westerns as well as a few other odds and ends, but they generally ain't cheap and with the lack of customer service I would at this time have to recommend everyone avoid this website.
    Unfortunate about cultcine...they do have some good stuff.

Let us know how this pans out, Dave. It's always good to know who's reputable to deal with and who's not.

Speaking of that, who else is good to deal with nowadays, Videoscreams aside? They've been great all the times I've dealt with them.

According to a post on Blu-ray.com both A Bullet For The General and Django... Kill are coming to Blu-ray from Blue Underground in May and June of this year. There are others I'd rather see hit the format first but this is a step in the right direction.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Actually these are my two favourite SW that BU put out, and probably up there as my favourite SW period so I'm totally excited!

Going back to the first page of this thread, here's 10 non-Leones I go back to constantly:

DEAD MEN RIDE
    NIGHT OF THE SERPENT
    THE RETURN OF RINGO
    THE RUTHLESS FOUR
    CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES
    TASTE OF DEATH
    BANDIDOS
    THE FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO
    RINGO: THE FACE OF REVENGE
    I'LL SELL MY SKIN DEARLY

Woah, I have not see any of those. What is going on here? I gotta get in on these shitz

While it may not be the optimal way, you can knock off several of those films by getting the budget set The Best Of Spaghetti Westerns In The Tradition Of The Good The Bad and The Ugly from Timeless Media. They are all letterboxed and while I have read that some are cut, I didn't notice anything essential missing from the other, more expensive import versions or fansubbed copies I have. This set has CEMETERY W/O CROSSES (as ROPE AND THE COLT), THE RETURN OF RINGO, RINGO: FACE OF REVENGE, BANDIDOS, and FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO...along with some other really good films like SEVEN DOLLARS ON THE RED, NO ROOM TO DIE, 10,000 DOLLARS FOR A MASSACRE, etc. Only one film in the set is fullscreen - RETURN OF SHANGHAI JOE.

BU just uploaded this to youtube:

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    While it may not be the optimal way, you can knock off several of those films by getting the budget set The Best Of Spaghetti Westerns In The Tradition Of The Good The Bad and The Ugly from Timeless Media. They are all letterboxed and while I have read that some are cut, I didn't notice anything essential missing from the other, more expensive import versions or fansubbed copies I have.
    Thanks for the tip. Just ordered it.