Page 5 of 95 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 950

Thread: The Spaghetti Western thread

  1. #41
    Senior Member Scyther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stateside.
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Starry View Post
    What are the movies included in this set? The picture at DVD Planet is too small to make them out and they're not listed in the description that I can see.
    Blood Money
    Life Is Tough, Eh Providence?
    Buddy Goes West
    Sartana in the Valley of Death
    Wanted
    Price of Power
    Bounty Killer
    Sundance and the Kid.

    Picked up the set for Blood Money and Life Is Tough, Eh Providence?

  2. #42
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    44,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyther View Post
    Picked up the set for Blood Money and Life Is Tough, Eh Providence?
    Are they worth getting? I don't think those have shown up in the other collections so far (at least not that I know of).
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  3. #43
    Senior Member Scyther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stateside.
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Are they worth getting? I don't think those have shown up in the other collections so far (at least not that I know of).
    My sentiments exactly as to picking up the set. Will skim through the transfers tonight and let you know how they are! For 5 bucks, it was a no brainer; Blood Money was already on my Amazon wish list anyway! :-)

  4. #44
    Pallid Hands Andrew Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    This Godforsaken Outpost
    Posts
    4,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Bougie View Post
    So I've started watching some of the movies in the aforementioned Timeless Media Spaghetti box. Here's what I thought of the first two:

    The Rope and the Colt (aka Cemetary without Crosses. 1969)
    Dario Argento co-wrote this splendid film, which is an Italian/French co-production that is depressing and nihilistic as fuck. I think the beginning is where they swiped the beginning for Hannie Caulder, but then it totally changes after that. Loved it. Co-writer, director and star Robert Hossein really knew what he was doing here, and claims that Leone stepped in and directed a few scenes on the sly. The movie is dedicated to Sergio. Great use of a creepy ghost town set in the middle of a barren moon-like landscape, and a pretty freaky off-screen rape sequence that sticks in your gut.

    Forgotten Pistolero (1969)
    A little slow to get going and very light on action, but the last two thirds were magnificent. It's like Shakespearian tragedy, with the whole family drama thing going on: "Mama killed our father! We're going to get revenge on that whore!" etc etc. This has, what may well be the finest score to heard in the genre outside of a Leone production. For serious. Oh, and the girl who co-starred as the pissed-off daughter, Pilar Martellanza, is the most beautiful creature I have seen all week. Drop dead gorgeous.

    If the other 18 movies in this set hold up to this high standard, this could well be the smartest $30 I've ever spent on dvds.
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the films, Robin! Man, I totally agree about the score to FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO, it's one of my favs too. Robert Hossein is interviewed on the beautifully packaged import of CEMETERY and he claims that Argento had nothing to do with the film. Also, he states that Leone only directed the big dinner scene where everyone is sitting around a large table. Anyway, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest as you work through the set!

  5. #45
    Pallid Hands Andrew Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    This Godforsaken Outpost
    Posts
    4,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyther View Post
    My sentiments exactly as to picking up the set. Will skim through the transfers tonight and let you know how they are! For 5 bucks, it was a no brainer; Blood Money was already on my Amazon wish list anyway! :-)
    Is BLOOD MONEY the same film as 10,000 BLOOD MONEY, the Garko one? If so, that's a [I]great[I] movie. Epic tragedy with a killer Nora Orlandi score. As for PROVIDENCE, I'm not a fan. Don't care much for spaghetti western comedies in general. If you've ever wanted to see Tomas Milian do Charlie Chaplin though, you'll probably enjoy it.

    I've got the new Wild East disc to check out this weekend - REVEREND COLT and VENGEANCE IS A COLT 45 aka SON OF DJANGO. I've seen them both via the Franco Cleef and X-Rated dvd respectively, neither is a classic but they're both decent mid-level entries and Guy Madison, an authentic-looking cowboy imo, stars in both. Gabriele Tinti is in SON OF DJANGO, his only spaghetti. I thought he was good enough to have wished he'd done more.

  6. #46
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    44,566
    Name:  slide.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  13.0 KB

    Speaking Wild East, has anyone checked out the Hunt Powers double feature and if so, is the quality good? I don't think I've seen the Django Sartana movie.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  7. #47
    Senior Member Scyther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stateside.
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Is BLOOD MONEY the same film as 10,000 BLOOD MONEY, the Garko one? If so, that's a [I]great[I] movie. Epic tragedy with a killer Nora Orlandi score. As for PROVIDENCE, I'm not a fan. Don't care much for spaghetti western comedies in general. If you've ever wanted to see Tomas Milian do Charlie Chaplin though, you'll probably enjoy it.

    I've got the new Wild East disc to check out this weekend - REVEREND COLT and VENGEANCE IS A COLT 45 aka SON OF DJANGO. I've seen them both via the Franco Cleef and X-Rated dvd respectively, neither is a classic but they're both decent mid-level entries and Guy Madison, an authentic-looking cowboy imo, stars in both. Gabriele Tinti is in SON OF DJANGO, his only spaghetti. I thought he was good enough to have wished he'd done more.
    No, this Blood Money is a bit different, and directed by Antonio Margheriti and produced by Run Run Shaw. Stars van Cleef and Lo Lieh in an East-Meets-West, Shanghai Joe-esque tale. There are strong comedic elements, but definitely action packed, as well.

    Transfer-wise, all of them look pretty damn good (especially for the 5 dollar price tag) and comparable to the Timeless set, with decent audio, as well. Although the set is two discs with four movies a piece, each disc is single layered, and none of the films look pan/scanned or full screen, either, (the widescreen looked fine on my TV, but it might appear a little stretched) so I say start checking your local K-Mart if you need any of these films, and wanna grab 'em cheap! Most of the titles are either in French or German (films are dubbed in English, of course), so I'm thinking these might be taken from foreign PAL discs, perhaps?

    As far as Providence goes, Chaplin was my first thought, as well! I'm picky with Spaghetti comedies, as well, but I'd be a sucker if I didn't say I enjoyed some Trinity now and then. Hell, I've even seen Little Rita of the West!

  8. #48
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    44,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyther View Post
    No, this Blood Money is a bit different, and directed by Antonio Margheriti and produced by Run Run Shaw. Stars van Cleef and Lo Lieh in an East-Meets-West, Shanghai Joe-esque tale. There are strong comedic elements, but definitely action packed, as well.
    So it's The Stranger And The Gunfighter then (same movie, different title). Always had a soft spot for that one.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  9. #49
    Senior Member Scyther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stateside.
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    So it's The Stranger And The Gunfighter then (same movie, different title). Always had a soft spot for that one.
    Yeah, although it's actually credited here as La Brute Le Colt et Le Karate which makes me believe that Echo Bridge might actually be Video Asia. Either that, or EB bought the rights for the film from VA, because I think they actually did the 'official' DVD release of Blood Money as a 'Shaw Brothers Dynasty Collection,' if I'm not mistaken?

    http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Money-Le.../dp/B001L2ZSHQ

  10. #50
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    44,566
    I don't think Video Asia have ever officially licensed anything in their history. I could be wrong, but if I were a betting man...

    Echo Bridge has definitely done plenty of legit stuff though, they handled all those budget Miramax releases a few months ago. That title has shown up in a few Spaghetti Western bundles though and I'm wondering if it's legitimately public domain or if it's just been released frequently enough that the rights owners have given up.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Similar Threads

  1. Actors of the Spaghetti Westerns
    By Andrew Monroe in forum Books And Comics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •