Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spaghetti Western thread

I'll probably get this, shouldn't be much more than 10 bucks. If the last one is anything to go by, the prints will be watchable if less than pristine.

Mill Creek's website has the MSRP listed at $9.95.

If wonder if it will come out though? At one point they were going to be releasing Django, weren't they? BU put a stop to that. Mill Creek plays legit these days, I'm assuming they have the rights properly secured.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Hey, this is pretty interesting - I just got an email from WB Archive Collection with the latest releases and HATE FOR HATE is among them. A pretty good spaghetti with Antonio Sabato and John Ireland. I have a letterboxed TCM copy but this is 16x9 widescreen. While I would prefer dvds of course, I am curious about what others we might get. I would certainly grab any I didn't already have as imports (and in the case of many Koch dvds, no english tracks only subs).

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Mill Creek's website has the MSRP listed at $9.95.

If wonder if it will come out though? At one point they were going to be releasing Django, weren't they? BU put a stop to that. Mill Creek plays legit these days, I'm assuming they have the rights properly secured.
    Yeah, I wonder about KEOMA. Not so much as far as THE GRAND DUEL is concerned since it's popped up on some budget sets already. They did have DJANGO announced at one point, I wonder if AB still controls KEOMA? BU never rereleased that did they?

Yep, BU reissued that one.

I think I have the same copy of Hate For Hate that you do. Agree with you that it'd be worth the money if WB gave us a good upgrade.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This seems as good a place as any to mention that the new Fangoria has a pretty long interview with Franco Nero. He talks a good bit about his westerns, and ENTER THE NINJA too! There's a lot of other good stuff as well - lots of retro coverage.

Watched THE RETURN OF RINGO (1965) last night.

It's a sorta-sequel (some of the same actors, the same names of the characters, but different plot points and totally different characterizations) that is intense and well made. I want to say that this one was FANTASTIC, but it was lacking in some ways, even though I would give it a thumbs up and a hearty recommendation.

Firstly, there is very little violence or gunplay until the last reel. That ain't good. Secondly -- it's the story of a man who shows up after being in the civil war, only to find that his town has been taken over by some evil mexicans, and is wife is getting fucked on a regular basis by their scummy leader -- and he doesn't bother to let his wife know that he's back in town until the 35 minute mark! Shit, he almost shoots her in the face assassin-style just for cheating on him, but can't bring himself to do it. Dude, it's not her fault some asshole took over the place and killed all the men in town! Thirdly, do you buy that when a white guy puts some dirt on his face, draws a fake beard on his chin, and plops a straw hat on his head -- that he's now a mexican? Everyone in this movie does!

Anyway, the last third of this is magnificent and very violent (which makes up for the slllllllllow wind-up), Guilliano Gemma is awesome in the lead, and the score by Ennio Morricone is something else. The actress that plays his wife, Holly (Lorella De Luca) is lovely and bonertastic as well. You may remember her fondly from the bizarre spy parody KISS KISS... BANG BANG.

The trailer:
    Last edited by Robin Bougie; 04-02-2012 at 04:48 PM.

FYI: Return of Ringo is partially a remake of the last book of The Odyssey!

Did not know that! Thanks

Warning spoilers ahead!!!!

In defense of Ringo's thought of shooting his wife, he mistakenly thinks she's willingly with Paco, or that's how I've always interpreted it. It does definitely show his dark side to even contemplate that though, and I think he would have done it if not for the fact that he sees his daughter - who was born while he was away. I love that the movie takes time to slowly build to a cathartic climax, never really thought of it as too slow. I enjoy the character moments in the first part. As you might guess, I love love love this film. The sequence where Ringo holds the lamp up to his face so his wife can see who he is, with Morricone's beautiful music swelling, is one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever.

Btw, KISS KISS BANG BANG is a real RINGO reunion, with most of the cast from both films as well as Tessari directing. It's not very good but damn if Lorella doesn't look gorgeous in it! She's one of my favorite eurocult actresses as far as looks go, simply stunning. She was actually married to Tessari, since he's no longer around she was interviewed on the Koch dvd of RETURN OF RINGO and still looks quite nice for her age. Sadly the interview doesn't have english subs.
    Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 04-04-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spoiler tag added