Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spaghetti Western thread

Haha I didn't want to say the thing about his daughter because of the SPOILER effect, but since you went there.

And yeah, the whole way through I kept punching the pillow next to me and biting my lip every time Lorella showed up on screen. DAMN how is she not a bigger star amongst Eurocult fans?! GORGEOUS! And a great actress too! Seems like the only Euro actresses genre film fans care about are the ones that showed up in Horror movies. So short-sighted.

I've added a spoiler warning, should have done that to begin with.

I think part of the reason Lorella isn't as well known as some others is that she simply didn't make that many films, particularly during the prime late 60s/early 70s period. And she chiefly worked with her husband during this time. She's in THE BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY in a supporting role but it's a small part. She supposedly worked as an assistant director on some of his films. I sure do wish she had done more, she's a natural and would've been great in more comedies in particular. While I don't think much of KISS KISS BANG BANG, it's fun to watch because the cast look to be having a blast and seem so relaxed and happy together. The killer Bruno Nicolai score helps too.

I decided to pull out the slightly improved copy of BLACK JACK I got in trade. This is the type of spaghetti western I wish Wild East would release, instead of films that have been available as imports for ages. This one, from 1968, is easily the most violent and nihilistic of its era. I don't want to go into spoiler territory here so I'll just mention the bare bones of the plot: Robert Woods is a seemingly upstanding citizen who's really planning to rob the town bank with his gang. After the successful job his gang decide they've had enough of his unfair loot splits and cripple him (and do a whole hell of a lot of other unfriggin' believable stuff...nuff said). The rest of the film concerns his quest for revenge..which has to be seen to be believed! There's possibly one likeable character in this film, the rest are greedy, vile, and in some cases insane. Even the townfolk, like those in DJANGO KILL, are more concerned with money. It's not a gory film but what we do see, along with the implied brutality and heinous acts (really, not overstating the case here but just STUNNING) puts this one way out on the fringes when you consider the year. The way poetic justice is delivered to the most evil of the gang is one of those is he really doing that? Holy shit...HE IS!!! moments.

Cover art and press release info for the Keoma/Grand Duel double feature Blu-ray coming next month is here.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Will you be reviewing it ian?

If they send it (and I asked) then definitely.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The Stranger Returns seems to have been given a decent release in Germany from Colosseo Film.

Extras include two trailers, a still gallery and a commentary with Tony Anthony (no idea if what language it's in). And English audio track is listed for the feature which is presented OAR 2.35.1 anamorphic widescreen.

EDITED TO ADD: Mondo Digital just posted a review a few minutes ago. Looks like it's an interview with Anthony, not a commentar, and the interview is in English.

Name:  93053_b268d67f794a04aebe16c8c45bd683f7_1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  25.0 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

BLACK JACK and DJANGO THE BASTARD are two of the strangest and darkest SWs I've seen. CALIFORNIA is a really underrated film that deserves more attention as well.

Agreed, Randy. CALIFORNIA is an excellent late entry.

Saw over at the SWWB that The Film Forum in NYC is having a veritable orgy of spaghetti westerns in June! Damn, THE PRICE OF POWER on the big screen. The list is almost overwhelming, there's so many playing. http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/spaghetti_westerns

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Saw over at the SWWB that The Film Forum in NYC is having a veritable orgy of spaghetti westerns in June! Damn, THE PRICE OF POWER on the big screen. The list is almost overwhelming, there's so many playing. http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/spaghetti_westerns
    Wow. Just...wow. I envy those of you living/visiting in NYC this June.