Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Brent - Life On The Road

David Brent - Life On The Road

"Directed, written by and starring Ricky Gervais, “DAVID BRENT: LIFE ON THE ROAD” is a feature length film which sees a documentary crew catching up with David Brent twelve years on from the mockumentary ‘The Office’. Brent is now a travelling salesman, chasing his dream of rock stardom by self-financing a UK tour with his band, ‘Foregone Conclusion’."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Yeah..I heard about this a while back...

In 2 minds about it to be honest...

On the one hand THE OFFICE (original) was one of the best tv shows I had seen for a long time..still holds up well today..the characters and situations were spot on...and there were many hilarious/ awkward events...and it was pretty spot in for anyone who ever spent time working in a real office....

On the other hand none of the other original cast will be back and , maybe more importantly, Gervais' co writer and co director Steven Merchant is not involved in any way....I have a feeling it was the ying/yang of both of them and their differing humour and ideas that made the OFFICE work so well....if this is true then this new adventure for Brent might fall short of the mark...

Ian..that link doesnt seem to send me anywhere i want to go....or maybe thats just me?

Heres a link that might give you more of an odea what to expect..both Brent and the other guy will be in the movie...I think they did this for COMIC RELIEF a few years

David Brent : Equality Street

https://youtu.be/XmTV62mE1PA
    Last edited by sukebanboy; 04-07-2016 at 11:35 AM.

That link was buggered up, thanks for the catch. I fixed it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by sukebanboy View Post
    Yeah..I heard about this a while back...

In 2 minds about it to be honest...

On the one hand THE OFFICE (original) was one of the best tv shows I had seen for a long time..still holds up well today..the characters and situations were spot on...and there were many hilarious/ awkward events...and it was pretty spot in for anyone who ever spent time working in a real office....

On the other hand none of the other original cast will be back and , maybe more importantly, Gervais' co writer and co director Steven Merchant is not involved in any way....I have a feeling it was the ying/yang of both of them and their differing humour and ideas that made the OFFICE work so well....if this is true then this new adventure for Brent might fall short of the mark...
    Merchent's lack of involvement is for sure a concern here, but I think Gervais has the character so nailed down that this point that it could work.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Will be interesting to see if anything IS noticeably different worh the finished movie die to lack of Merchant involvememt..

That trailer seems to perfectly catch the essence of Brent..awkward...embarrassing...and all his other traits..

This was... thoroughly mediocre. It definitely has moments that are legitimately funny but the last half feels very rushed and contrived. I don't regret watching it but those expecting to be anywhere near as funny as the office will probably be disappointed. Some of the musical numbers are pretty genius though.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    This was... thoroughly mediocre. It definitely has moments that are legitimately funny but the last half feels very rushed and contrived. I don't regret watching it but those expecting to be anywhere near as funny as the office will probably be disappointed. Some of the musical numbers are pretty genius though.
    Yes, this was pretty mediocre. I keep pimping Cemetery Junction if you haven't seen it yet.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

It's on the short list!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!