Thread: Office Spin Off - Dwight Schrute To Get His Own Show?

Office Spin Off - Dwight Schrute To Get His Own Show?

From Comingsoon.net:
    Deadline reports that NBC is working on an "Office" spin-off that would have Rainn Wilson's character Dwight Schrute living at the Schrute family beet farm and bed & breakfast. The site says that the network is developing the project for a possible midseason 2013 launch.

The spin-off was the idea of Wilson and "The Office" executive producer/showrunner Paul Lieberstein, who will both executive produce. “Paul and Rainn have been joking for years about Dwight's life on the farm, his family and how ill-suited he is to run a B&B," a source for the site said. "A while ago, it started to feel like a show to them. NBC agreed, it’s been further developed to include multiple generations, many cousins and neighbors. At its base it will be about a family farm struggling to survive and a family trying to stay together."

The site added that the spin-off will not mean an immediate departure from "The Office" for Wilson. If the show is renewed, he would return in the fall before appearing in the spin-off.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Wilson's denying it over on his Twitter feed, tho'.
    It's not going to suck itself...

I thought the american office was canceled long ago. It sucks in comparison to the original anyhow.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

I've heard a lot of people talk about how awesome the american one is....maybe because i saw the original first, I just thought that the characters were way better portrayed by actors that you didn't really know, rather than Steve Carell and Raine Wilson. Doesn't really do much for me.

I actually like the American version, but it's on it's last legs. The quality of the writing has dropped substantially, IMO, and they are trying way too hard. I think the show may have the remainder of this season, and at the very most, one additional season left in it.

Carell's departure, whether they admit it or not, was the beginning of the end for the show. When he left, the show should have ended. Replacing him with James Spader just did not work, and as good as the ensemble cast is, the show is still lacking. It was funny the first few seasons, but has dwindled off into mediocrity. With all the great tv out there, this show is frantically trying to stay afloat, because it's facing competition from better programs.

Wilson and co. Probably don't want word of this spinoff out, because it tells people THE OFFICE is over, and the producers have given up on it. I don't blame Wilson for looking to the future, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane C. View Post
    Wilson and co. Probably don't want word of this spinoff out, because it tells people THE OFFICE is over, and the producers have given up on it. I don't blame Wilson for looking to the future, though.
    This actually makes a lot of sense, and you're right, the later seasons don't compare to the earlier ones, which I think are almost as good as the British series.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

A Dwight show has my vote. My favorite character on the American show.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

So with the last episode of The Office now more or less ready to go it seems Steve Carell will be coming back... for a quick cameo.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/...medium=twitter
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Looks like if there is a follow up, it'll be without Carrell.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/st...on-1202011429/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!