Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dynamite Entertainment Bringing Back The Shadow In Comic Book Form

This could potentially be cool. Dynamite is launching another Shadow title in Feb. The Shadow: Year One It's a mini-series - 8 issues. Written by Matt Wagner with art from Wilfredo Torres. It will cover how he met Margo Lane and how he adapted his hat and cloak among other things. I like Wagner enough to give this a shot.

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Very cool. I have enough faith in Wagner that I'll probably pick this up too. Not familiar with the artist so much.

I saw Dynamite also just released a series called MASKS that teams up The Shadow with The Spider, Green Hornet and a few other old school pulp heroes.

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...l?CAT=DF-Masks

This could go either way. I like the idea but I find so much of Dynamite's stuff lacking in the story department.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I saw Dynamite also just released a series called MASKS that teams up The Shadow with The Spider, Green Hornet and a few other old school pulp heroes.

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...l?CAT=DF-Masks

This could go either way. I like the idea but I find so much of Dynamite's stuff lacking in the story department.
    I just got Masks #1 this afternoon. I'm with you in general about Dynamite but this one is written by Chris Roberson, who did the terrific Vertigo series iZombie (with Mike Allred). I have enough faith in him to see how this plays out. I'll let you know what I think of the first issue when I get to it.

Please do! I'll probably wait for it to get collected but I'm intrigued by the idea enough that I might be swayed...
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

One thing that I'm bummed about is that Alex Ross is only doing the interior art for the first issue of Masks. He'll continue to do the covers (along with 3 or 4 other artists doing variants) but Dennis Colero (?) is doing the art after #1.

Oh, and I'm still buying The Spider, that book continues to be a solid modern noir/pulp read. It's been leagues better than the regular Shadow series.

Well, it probably costs a lot more to have Ross do his thing than to have Colero do it. But some consistency between the issues would be nice.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

No doubt Ross' going rate is steep but he has a big connection to Dynamite - does 99% of his work for them these days. I think it has more to do with the fact that he just doesn't do any interior stuff now. This is the first one he's done (that I'm aware of at least) in a long time. He did some of the work on Kirby Genesis but not all - and what a mess that story was! Holy crap what a bitter disappointment that fiasco was. But anyway, for whatever reason he just prefers to do covers mainly and plot storylines for projects now and then (that usually don't turn out very well). It may be an ego thing where he thinks of himself as a writer as well.

Has he written anything of worth? His collaborations with Mark Waid were great.

I still have the Terminator Burning Earth mini series he did.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I loved the Waid/Ross collaborations but I give most of the credit to Waid for the writing. Ross is excellent at designing the costumes though. In most of his stuff where he is involved in the story he's normally credited with plotting but doesn't do the actual writing, that's usually done by someone else. The Avengers/Invaders series from Marvel/Dynamite a few years ago is typical - gorgeous Ross covers but the story wasn't very compelling (he came up with the basic plot) and the art inside was downright shitty (can't recall who that was).

Okay, the first issue of Masks is good stuff. Criminals have taken over NYC, getting elected to office and hiring a stormtrooper-style police force who arrest or execute anyone who doesn't pay shakedown "taxes" or follow other fascist laws they've instituted. The story gets set up pretty quickly and there's some good interaction between The Shadow and The Green Hornet and Kato. The Spider puts in a brief appearance near the end and that's all the vigilantes they introduce in this issue, a wise decision I think. It seems the story will involve regular citizens also donning masks to help, along with the other pulp characters that will show up. The art is as you'd expect, beautiful! And a certain classic horror icon makes a cameo (I ain't sayin' who or where). Chris Roberson sets this up well in the first issue and I am on board. Ian, check it out - even if you wait for the collection. If they can keep this up it should be fun, though I will say again I wish Ross was doing all the issues.