Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show us yer cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I think it's only a matter of time before the point and shoots and DSLRs sort of become one. Point and shoots really have come a long way in the last two years or so.
    Definitely. I think the new breed of mirrorless compacts are changing the market considerably. They're not for me, as I need a more traditional viewfinder, but they're certainly a sea change in design and, I guess, functionality.

Btw, here's how to advertise a camera. This is the (bizarre and slightly unsettling) Japanese commercial for the X10:

Only in Japan, eh!

The Japanese Moriyami/Nobuyoshi-influenced X100 commercial was just as bizarre.

Last edited by Paul L; 06-17-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

That X100 commercial must be watched at least once, by the way. It's glorious!
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Those are pretty nuts. Japan is awesome.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Just got one of these:

A Canon 7D. Would have liked a full frame camera but at the price I got the 7D should do the job. At the same I also bought a set of studio strobes and a huge 6x3 Metre background kit for studio work. I'm not really a camera guy and I'm going to have to put in some hours learning how to use all this but I've spent way too much on stills photographers over the last few years and it's well past time I got decent gear. Should be fun anyway.

I have a Fuji X10

Here's my Flickr page with my favourite X10 pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnyredman/
    Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Another X10 user! It's such a fun camera to use, I think, Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Another X10 user! It's such a fun camera to use, I think, Jonny
    I've only had it about 8 months or so, I used to have an Olympus OM10 years ago and haven't been into photography for probably about 10 years so figured the x10 would be a nice starter to get me back into things. I love it so far, still trying to remember the basics as regards f stops and all that jazz but it's a cracking little camera and I'm just loving being able to take it out with me and try and get some nice pictures.
    Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Just ordered one of these to be my new studio camera. On the con side it's ugly as sin, is locked at 50mm focal length, can't be used above ISO 400, is super slow to lock focus and take a picture, has a cropped sensor, forces you to use it it's own terrible proprietary software to edit RAW and has no viewfinder. The plus side is smaller but those items are a foveon sensor and a leaf shutter. Should be killer for studio work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Just ordered one of these to be my new studio camera. On the con side it's ugly as sin, is locked at 50mm focal length, can't be used above ISO 400, is super slow to lock focus and take a picture, has a cropped sensor, forces you to use it it's own terrible proprietary software to edit RAW and has no viewfinder. The plus side is smaller but those items are a foveon sensor and a leaf shutter. Should be killer for studio work.

I've seen some beautiful images produced by that camera and its special sensor. However, the camera itself looks really ugly and unwieldy, and the lack of a viewfinder would put me off, though I'd be happy shooting at 50mm (my favourite focal length, along with 28mm).

On the other hand, I've been using the Fuji X-Pro1 a lot lately, in alternation with my Bessa R 35mm rangefinder (onto which I've bolted the lovely, contrasty but apparently radioactive - owing to the Lanthanum/Thorium lens elements - Soviet Industar 61 lens), and I think the images produced by the X-Trans sensor in the X-Pro are wonderfully filmlike - especially the monochromes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I've seen some beautiful images produced by that camera and its special sensor. However, the camera itself looks really ugly and unwieldy, and the lack of a viewfinder would put me off, though I'd be happy shooting at 50mm (my favourite focal length, along with 28mm).
    Yeah I'm pretty excited about the image quality you get with this. I've been playing around with RAWs I downloaded online. The closest thing I've seen to the detail in the files is medium format. They actually have slightly more image information than some Pentax 645z files I was sent to edit a few months ago and hold up to a greater level of cropping than those. And that's a $10k+ camera that comes with it's own long list of quirks. As far as "ugly and unwieldy" I couldn't agree more. I had a really hard time just holding it in the camera shop. My fingers are too big for it's form but I'm told it gets a lot easier to hold once you add this hood that lets you use the live view like a view finder. No viewfinder would have been a deal breaker for me too. Apart from the fact I wouldn't be able to hold it steady I don't think I could stand in front of clients holding my camera like I was using a camera phone. Doesn't do much about the "unwieldy" however. Really does make it a studio camera rather than something for the streets but that suits me. Not sure it did much about the ugly either. I sense I'll be spending a lot of time explaining exactly what the hell this thing is...