Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fulci

I'd totally forgotten that he'd directed Massacre Time until about a couple of months ago when I was surfing Youtube for spaghetti Westerns to watch. I saw that the film was posted in its entirety and like its title so I started watching. Then I saw Fulci's name as the director and was like WTF?!? Don't know why Fulci hated Nero so much, but thought he was very good in the film. Also Nero's co-star, George Hilton, reminded by a lot of George Eastman.

Anyone ever seen this one?

Is that the same German shepherd from the Beyond? If so, that kid better watch his face.

I really like Fulci's White Fang pictures. They're a little silly in places, and they're surprisingly brutal for childrens' films, but they're a lot of fun.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

On the East Coast in the South as close to the beach as I can get. :)
    I love The Beyond, Derek was bored. I still can't for the life of me understand why. Someday I'm going to to reshow it to him for a final try.

Wow I can't belive I own "Don't Torture A Duckling and haven't watched it yet". But that's ok I do that went I want to give myself a surprise on a rainy day. I think that will be this weekend.

I'm rewatching DOOR INTO SILENCE at the moment, and I'm finding it much more interesting this time around. (I bought the Severin DVD when it was released five years ago but never got round to watching it as I remembered being unimpressed with the film the first time I saw it.) It's quite atmospheric, with the texture of a dream or nightmare; my perception of it has definitely been elevated by this viewing.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

I've been on a bit of a Fulci kick as of late. Any other fans here of The Devil's Honey (1986)? I'm not going to say its my favorite of his but its damn close and I think its the best of his post Ripper films and his last true masterpiece. Its likely to make anyone who labels Fulci a misogynist do a serious double take.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
    Anyone ever seen this one?

If only this starred Bob...

I know it has its fans but Devil's Honey never did anything for me. The horrible dubbing probably had something to do with it but the story just didn't feel arresting in any way. I think his best later day films are:

Conquest. It's a guilty pleasure and I sincerely doubt Fulci intended this to be taken serious. I bring that up because all the criticism I read about it constantly harps on this being cheesy and OTT. Even Steven Thrower harps on this, the guy who could write 10 paragraphs on perceived anti-semitism in New York Ripper and dwelling on Feminism and Freudian and I think even Jungian thoughts on the splinter in the eye scene in Zombie. It's a B movie and it's a fun one. There's Wookies fighting cavemen with stone nun chucks.

Touch of Death. The first 60 minutes. It opens well and the black humor works, there's some fantastic gore too. The problem is the 3rd act where Zora Kerova is introduced (via painting lipstick over a gigantic herpes scar) and it drags down to a halt. Literally nothing happens until the obvious twist we saw coming from the very beginning finally kicks in.

House of Clocks. Again, some of the dubbing hurts it but this one is pretty damn good. Great structure, an un-obvious twist, Fulci-styled nihilism, good gore and a great overall Poe feeling reminiscent of The Psychic in some ways.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

I really like CONQUEST. It looks fantastic when played on a big screen: those weird and wonderful visuals need to be seen at a cinema. Not a big fan of TOUCH OF DEATH, I have to say, though I haven't seen it in over a decade.

I never got round to checking out SWEET HOUSE OF HORRORS or HOUSE OF CLOCKS, although I should do someday.

In terms of Fulci's late career stuff, I have a real fondness for VOICES FROM BEYOND, which I hated when I first saw it but which has grown on me over the years.