Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fulci

Voices From Beyond has some good things in it and is almost a return to his earlier Gialli routes but the TV production values and the non-ending hurt it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Voices From Beyond has some good things in it and is almost a return to his earlier Gialli routes but the TV production values and the non-ending hurt it.
    Agreed on both counts, Alex: the general 'cheapness' of his later productions is what usually works against them, I think, although sometimes these choices may have been deliberate 'artistic' decisions (the diffuse lighting, etc, of many of those latter-day Fulci pictures) that contribute to the perception of them as 'cheap'. VOICES FROM BEYOND's ending is a bit of a damp squib too, but I think Fulci's later films mostly had problems with their endings, which often seemed off-hand and inconsequential: some of his earlier films struggled to resolve themselves in their final sequences too, and I guess this is a criticism that, as I recall, was for many years quite often levelled at Fulci's early 1980s work (NEW YORK RIPPER, MANHATTAN BABY, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY); however, this struggle to find an ending for his films definitely became a more pronounced trait in the later pictures.

I'm hoping to revisit MURDER ROCK soon. I bought the Shriek Show DVD when it was first released but never watched it (I'd seen the film years before, on VHS, and was unimpressed with it). Time to revisit that one, I think.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

The Murder Rock DVD has a great interview/commentary of Fulci and for that alone it's worth checking out. Murder Rock is one of his last films that enjoyed reasonably high production values and it has its moments but had it gone all the way with either being a slasher/gialli or simply a Flashdance rip off it would have been more successful.

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I think Fulci's later films mostly had problems with their endings, which often seemed off-hand and inconsequential: some of his earlier films struggled to resolve themselves in their final sequences too, and I guess this is a criticism that, as I recall, was for many years quite often levelled at Fulci's early 1980s work (NEW YORK RIPPER, MANHATTAN BABY, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY); however, this struggle to find an ending for his films definitely became a more pronounced trait in the later pictures.
    Regarding the ending of Manhattan Baby, the interview with Fulci collaborator and co-writer Dardano Sacchetti on the DVD, while brief is a real neat watch because he discusses the ending of the film, more specifically the religious influences behind the films finale, IE the differing of opinions between the English and Italians regarding good and evil. Pretty interesting stuff. While I'm on the subject of Manhattan Baby, I'm always quick to stand up for that one. While its obviously not Fulci's best I think the amount of grief its gotten over the years is a bit unfair.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)

Manhattan Baby had a lot going for it. I think most are disappointed in that aspect. But it was a film that no one but De Angelis wanted to make and it shows. Trailer was good though.

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Murder Rock is certainly a fun one one and has many amazing shots of NYC, amongst the aerobics and sleazy disco that is.

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed A Cat in the Brain despite it taking some chunks from other Fulci films. Him leaving in the boat waving to us/film crew was pretty much his way of saying goodbye. Not his last film, but one that leaves of on THE solid note.

There's an Australian 'Gates Of Hell' trilogy coming out on Blu-ray soon.

Name:  10456805_10152317100046363_7488463216505148785_n.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  24.7 KB

http://www.screenpop.com.au/blu-ray/...ogy/27654.html

Rock! Shock! Pop!

All three movies on one BD?

The link says it's a 3 disc set.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I remember when I was a kid the movies were considered a quartet and included Zombie (naturally). Then around the mid 00's people started to refer to City of the Living Dead, The Beyond, and House by the Cemetery as the "Seven Gates Trilogy."

I dunno, I think House kinda' fits but to say it's part of an intended trilogy is a real stretch. It's probably just marketing BS.

Alejandro Jodorowsky