Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Fulci

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Let me pose a question: since City of the Living Dead and the Beyond have Lovecraftian elements, that is the town of Dunwich in City, the Book of Eibon (which was an invetion by Clark Ashton Smith who contributed to the greater Cthulhu mythos) and a world-ending apocalypse, would you consider The Beyond and City to be part of the greater Cthulhu mythology?
    I definitely consider them part of the expanded Mythos. I wish there more films that were inspired by Clark Ashton Smith's writing. I enjoy the mythos stories that he and Robert E. Howard wrote even more than Lovecraft's originals.
    It's all in the reflexes.

If you've got the El Rey Network...

...kinda awesome that this is being shown on TV?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Well, The Beyond was on TCM (twice I think) so it was only a matter of time. How would you guys rank Fulci's Zombie/Apocalyptic/Gothic horror quartet?

For me:

1: The Beyond. A fucking masterpiece. A true art house horror film. Some of the greatest cinematography of all of Italian horror. Amazing gore. Amazing soundtrack. Very likable actors. And the ending just kicks you in the gut.

2: Zombie. The perfect pulp zombie movie. The definitive voodoo-centric zombie movie.

3: House by the Cemetery. It would be one of the great haunted house flicks if it weren't for the dubbing of Bob (It really irritated me at first, but I've become tolerant of it) and a couple of distracting and almost nonsensical moments along with kind of a weak ending take it down a peg. It's still great and I love it. I recognize that the ending tries to be more low-key and haunting but in comparison to Zombie and the Beyond it's just not up there.

4: City of the Living Dead this is a movie where the sum does not equal its parts. There's some amazing sequences and cinematography. But it never takes hold with a certain tone and just seems to bounce around from scene to scene. And it easily has the worst ending of the quartet. Had it ended with Catriona and Carlo DeMajo exiting the tomb, that would have been fine. But instead it kept going and yeah... Fulci never really commented on that ending.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

1. HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY. Bob's dubbing aside, pretty much everything works for me. I think it has the strongest score and the prettiest actress (Ania Pieroni.) Just really clicks with me for some reason(s.)

2. THE BEYOND. Just a great, crowd-pleasing film, with a variety of fun scenes.

3. CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD. Odd film. Not quite as engrossing due to somewhat less engaging characters and storyline, but still very good.

4. ZOMBIE. Has a few good set-pieces, but the rest of the film leaves me utterly flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    1. HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY. Bob's dubbing aside, pretty much everything works for me. I think it has the strongest score and the prettiest actress (Ania Pieroni.) Just really clicks with me for some reason(s.)

2. THE BEYOND. Just a great, crowd-pleasing film, with a variety of fun scenes.

3. CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD. Odd film. Not quite as engrossing due to somewhat less engaging characters and storyline, but still very good.

4. ZOMBIE. Has a few good set-pieces, but the rest of the film leaves me utterly flat.
    Switch THE BEYOND and HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY around and that'd be my order too - for much the same reasons. THE BEYOND is comfort food for me, as I used to watch it repeatedly back in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

To be honest, it's a closely-run race: they're all very good films, imo.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Does anyone know where the 'crypt' scenes in "Demonia" were filmed? I'm talking about the room in the monastery with the coffins and skeletons.

So it looks like that French Lizard Blu is going to be a pretty stacked SE and English friendly at that.

http://www.luciofulci.fr/sorties-blu...erture-reveles
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    So it looks like that French Lizard Blu is going to be a pretty stacked SE and English friendly at that.

http://www.luciofulci.fr/sorties-blu...erture-reveles
    Good news!

I rewatched ZOMBI 2 last night and reflected on something that's been bugging me for years. The film opens with Menard shooting a rising corpse (Tisa Farrow/Anne Bowle's father, I'm guessing) and saying, in a dramatic manner (whilst his face is also in a film noir-esque silhouette), 'The boat can leave now; tell the crew'. (This was missing from the UK VHS version by which I first saw the film, which cut straight into the film's opening titles; so the first time I saw this pre-credits scene was via the Anchor Bay DVD, I think.) However, later in the film the same moment is played out, as Menard tells the story to Anne, Peter, Brian and Susan, but Menard is much more sympathetic in this version of events and delivers the line in an almost mournful manner. I've often wondered if this is like the famous 'lying flashback' in Hitchcock's STAGE FRIGHT - that what we're being shown on screen whilst Menard narrates is a visualisation of Menard's version of events, in which he presents himself as a far more sympathetic character than he actually is (as opposed to the 'objective'/unbiased depictions of narrative events that we usually associated with commercial cinema). Certainly, the contrast between the two scenes (which, owing to the use of the same line are clearly intended to depict the same series of events) is interesting.

I don't think I'd ever noticed the out of focus zombies just behind Anne, Brian and Peter as they approach the church too - a detail probably not really visible on the VHS/DVD versions. Finally, and I say this every time I watch the film, the depth of field enabled by the use of wide-angle lenses is amazing.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I never even picked up on the fact they were different takes, I just thought Fulci re-used that scene for a jolting opener.
    Almost seems too subtle/artisitc for Fulci to try and go for the 'lying flashback' angle but you may be right in this.

I noticed it on a re-watch a few years ago. I think it does imply that Menard is lying. There's also Olga's general hostility towards Menard and threatening to tell the natives what he's really up to.

You could say it's a subplot that goes nowhere but you could say the same thing about the origin of the zombies. We're never given a reason why they've come back but it is hinted that Menard had something to do with it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky