+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Society

Society

Where has this film been all my life? It was on the Time Out Top 100 list and I had never so much as heard of it. Which after seeing it seems hard to believe. Makes me wonder what else I'm missing out on.

Awesome 80s fun. Plays kind of like a mix of Heathers, Videodrome and Beetlegeuse. There's a couple of moments I could have done without at the end but the filmmakers were really walking a tight rope with tone all the way through and I can't blame them too much for the occassional misstep. Really quite disgusting in a pretty fun, unique way.

Any other fans of this one?

It's all in the reflexes Paul L's Avatar
    I've loved this film since it's release on UK VHS. It's a brilliantly clever, subversive film.

Here's the introduction that Mark Cousins recorded for the film's screening on Moviedrome in the late 1990s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr5dJaeP5Dk
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard
    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)

One of Yuzna's finest moments to be sure. I bet this would look good in HD. Great use of practical effects.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

If everything is going as I suspect Yuzna is working with Synapse for a new release. I suspect it'll be a DVD/Blu-Ray combo. Don't expect it anytime soon, Yuzna JUST got the U.S. rights back in January.

I'm watching it because of the Time Out list as well. Shockingly good film especially considering it's by Yuzna who's never done a legitimately good film before. This is one of those films you could cite as an example of the genre being as deep and meaningful as you want to take it.

It's all in the reflexes Paul L's Avatar
    I'd love to see this in HD. Alex, I agree that it's strange that Yuzna has never made another film that approaches SOCIETY in terms of content or quality.

I was always struck by how strange it was the over here, we got the uncut version of the film; whilst the US received a censored cut of the movie, didn't it? I guess the BBFC saw the satire in the picture and treated it leniently because of that. I remember the anticipation before SOCIETY was released over here, and the expectation - given the information about the film published in genre mags - that the BBFC would tear it to shreds.
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard
    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)

I remember this being one of the better horror films of the late 80s, would love to see a nice BR release of it.

LOVED this one at the time of release...havent watched it again as I feel it may spoil the memory.....definitely one of YUZNAS finest moments....

Second Sight, who have got an amazing line up happening, just announced that they're bringing this one to DVD and Blu-ray soon. Preliminary cover art...

Name:  564450_179780322156409_2089456114_n.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  75.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Never seen this one, but that cover is freaking sweet. Definitely does its job in selling me on picking up the disc...

+ Reply to Thread