Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I'm going to guess that the Kino disc is the way to go on that one?

Yeah, in fact I think it may be the only game in town, unless there's a budget disc I'm not aware of. It looks quite good though and has a couple extras. It's way different from THE BIG HEAT, think gothic noir...decay and twisted, kinky sex.

Sold. I will seek this out.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

And so I did. Ordered it last night.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it, Ian. Very different from Lang's other noirs.

Btw, my hopes for getting a new dvd recorder locally were smashed, the only one in stock didn't have a tuner which renders it useless for off air recordings. I guess I'll have to get one from Amazon or something.
    Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 05-26-2012 at 09:19 PM.

They're starting to get harder to find, I've noticed. Not a trend I like, but what can you do.

House should be here early next week, I'll definitely chime in once I get the chance to check it out.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This Warner Archive release flew completely under the radar - guess it's been out since April?

Tough detectives, pretty women, ace reporters. All staples of the film-noir genre and exemplified by these two films.

In Homicide, what seems like a routine suicide sparks the interest of LAPD Detective Michael Landers (Robert Douglas) when he sees something suspicious at the scene. Delving further into the case leads him to the heart of SoCal’s farm country. Posing as an insurance investigator, Landers meets several unsavory types and an attractive hotel cigarette girl, Jo Ann (Helen Westcott) as he slowly unravels the case.

The reporter-turned-sleuth takes the lead in The House Across the Street. When managing editor Dave Joslin (Wayne Morris) writes several articles blasting the police with incompetence after a witness in a fraud trial is killed, the paper’s owner, who is worried about a libel suit, reassigns the editor to an advice-to-the-lovelorn columnist. This causes Joslin to become inadvertently involved in the fraud case against racketeer Keever (Bruce Bennett). With fellow reporter Kit Williams (Janis Paige) as his accomplice, Joslin starts putting together the puzzle pieces to get the criminal indicted.

Name:  homicide-house-across-stree.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  18.4 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Hmm, I missed seeing this was out too. I get the WAC emails but it sure flew right by me. Never seen either one, they are both B movies - short runtimes. I'll probably add this to an order at some point. Thanks for the heads-up!

Universal is releasing Double Indemnity on 9/4/12 as part of their 100th Anniversay celebration. Not sure on extra, or any other details.

I know this is out on BD in the UK, but there's no word of a domestic Blu release that I'm aware of.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

It really doesn't make much sense to release it only on dvd again, that last one was just fine. I sure hope it's a BD, I would snatch that up damn quick.

The Masters Of Cinema Blu-ray release looks awesome but it's Region B coded.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!