Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

Hopefully Wise's THE SET-UP will be released sometime on blu. Can't wait to get my mitts on BODY AND SOUL.

HD Cinema Classics has got Suddenly lined up for Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack release 9/25/2012. Amazon listing here.

Hopefully they don't go crazy with the DNR like they have in the past...
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'll get that if it looks decent. I have a feeling this film is like THE RED HOUSE (I have that BD here to watch soon) in that it will never look spectacular but hopefully be better than the countless other PD releases. It's a good, tough movie.

One film I'd really like to see get a dvd release is Devil Thumbs A Ride.

I was away last week and missed the news that WAC is releasing 4 noirs on August 28! Very cool. They are:
    WALK SOFTLY STRANGER
    A WOMAN'S SECRET
    SOUTHSIDE 1-1000
    BORN TO BE BAD

They're even labeled Film Noir Archive Collection on the covers. I've seen the first and last, BORN TO BE BAD is a good one about a really nasty femme fatale with Joan Fontaine and Robert Ryan. Can't wait for these.

Walk Softly Stranger is the one with Joseph Cotton, right? I vaguely remember seeing that on TV as a kid but my memories of it more or less seem to stop there.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I have a feeling this film is like THE RED HOUSE (I have that BD here to watch soon) in that it will never look spectacular but hopefully be better than the countless other PD releases. It's a good, tough movie.
    The Red House on Blu-ray looks very good to my eyes, My previous version was the alpha video, and this Blu kicks its ass all over the place.
    Born To Be Bad I just watched last week, it has a R2 release thats not too bad, Great little film as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    HD Cinema Classics has got Suddenly lined up for Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack release 9/25/2012. Amazon listing here.

Hopefully they don't go crazy with the DNR like they have in the past...
    Another great film, This company is doing it right though, despite their some would say oversue of DNR, The previous releases of the PD films they handle were atrocious so any upgrade is welcome. Plus they are affordably priced at less then 10 dollars a piece.
    I thought all of their releases so far were massive upgrades in picture quality.
    Last edited by Mark C.; 08-15-2012 at 10:20 AM.

I agree that they've been big upgrades, I'd just rather they not go crazy with the noise reduction and would like to see them use lossless audio. But yeah, it's hard to argue with the price and they're dealing in titles that no one else seems interested in, so I'm thankful to have them.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Walk Softly Stranger is the one with Joseph Cotton, right? I vaguely remember seeing that on TV as a kid but my memories of it more or less seem to stop there.
    Yeah, and Alida Valli is in it too. I saw it on TCM a few years ago. The ending was too upbeat to kick it into dark noir territory but it was pretty good. SOUTHSIDE 1-1000 is supposed to be a solid T-MEN riff which sounds good to me. And A WOMAN'S SECRET is Nicholas Ray directing Gloria Grahame and Maureen O'Hara (!) so I'm pretty curious about that as well.

Mark, yeah, I've been happy with these budget BDs overall too.