Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

You'll love The Burglar, it was my favorite from the set. Can't go wrong with Dan Duryea

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I've never thought of THE WINDOW as a documentary-style noir. It's a terrific movie, right up there with PHANTOM LADY and REAR WINDOW as the best Cornell Woolrich adaptations. It doesn't really have a documentary feel though and is pretty different in execution from THE NAKED CITY imo.
    Well, it doesn't have a modern documentary feel, no. But if you look at it from a historical standpoint, it can be lumped in that group for the way it utilizes actual locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
    You'll love The Burglar, it was my favorite from the set. Can't go wrong with Dan Duryea
    I was reading a little about THE BURGLAR and was reminded that the cool Jean-Paul Belmondo film THE BURGLARS (1972) was a remake of it. They're both based on the novel by David Goodis.

Checked out PITFALL and it's a quality noir. If you do much reading about this film you'll notice a common thing mentioned is that this was one of the first films to bring the noir milieu to the suburbs, out of the city proper. Dick Powell is perfectly cast as the insurance man who's grown bored of his humdrum life and with one bad decision puts it all in jeopardy. Lizabeth Scott's character isn't a femme fatale as you might expect, she's a basically a good person looking for a commited relationship. And Raymond Burr manages to make what could have been a generic psycho thug a tad sympathetic. One of the more realistic endings too, won't say much about it to avoid spoilers but it plays out like it probably would in real life. This one does a terrific job of slowly ratcheting up the tension as Powell's life comes more and more fractured.

The Synergy bootleg isn't bad looking at all. It's not out of focus and is only mildly worn looking. I'd compare it to the better Alpha discs of pd titles. Some scratches here and there but it's very watchable.

PRIVATE HELL 36 is indeed a quality noir. I'm looking forward to getting that myself. One of my favorite heavies is in the cast, Steve Cochran. Probably best remembered for WHITE HEAT these days.
    Yeah, Im fan of Steve Cochran too. One of the best scenes in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES is the part when Dana Andrews comes home to find his wife hanging out with Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards View Post
    Yeah, Im fan of Steve Cochran too. One of the best scenes in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES is the part when Dana Andrews comes home to find his wife hanging out with Steve.
    Yeah, that's right. Interesting that the woman cheating with Cochran in both BEST YEARS and WHITE HEAT is Virginia Mayo. BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES is one of my favorite films. Love love love it! Never fail to get a lump in my throat when Dana Andrews has a combat-related nightmare and Teresa Wright (who's simply amazing in everything) comes in to comfort him.

Jamie, if you haven't seen it, you should check out HIGHWAY 301. It's a tough gangster picture with Cochran as the leader of the Tri-State Gang, a group of bank robbers. It's a cut above the average, Cochran isn't above rubbing out a chatty girlfriend if he thinks she's a liability. It's available from Warner Archives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    All released by Warner Archive today...

BORN TO BE BAD (1950) One of Nicholas Ray’s earliest works is a shockingly stark and unforgiving look at a woman blessed with no restraint whatsoever when it comes to her own ambition. Joan Fontaine plays Christabel Caine, the anti-heroine who has the face of an angel and the heart of a savage. King of Noir Robert Ryan plays the rough-hewn writer who is good enough to share her bed, but not her hand, while Zachary Scott plays the aviator millionaire too much the naïf to escape his fate. Joan Leslie and Mel Ferrer deliver standout performances as the bystanders, one victim, one ambivalent witness, to the wreckage Christabel leaves behind. And now, Born to be Bad is more shocking than ever, thanks to the recently discovered — and never before seen — alternate, extended ending. An ending that transforms the film from biting critique to a dark, sardonic work of joy.
    Sounds awesome, love me some Joan Fontaine.

Yeah, that's right. Interesting that the woman cheating with Cochran in both BEST YEARS and WHITE HEAT is Virginia Mayo. BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES is one of my favorite films. Love love love it! Never fail to get a lump in my throat when Dana Andrews has a combat-related nightmare and Teresa Wright (who's simply amazing in everything) comes in to comfort him.

Jamie, if you haven't seen it, you should check out HIGHWAY 301. It's a tough gangster picture with Cochran as the leader of the Tri-State Gang, a group of bank robbers. It's a cut above the average, Cochran isn't above rubbing out a chatty girlfriend if he thinks she's a liability. It's available from Warner Archives.
    Yeah for sure, Best Years is an excellent film. Really touching and nothing phoney/contrived about it. I do already have Highway 301, Im a Film Noir fiend!

I had a chance to check out THE BURGLAR from the Columbia Noir V. 3 set...Wow! It's an ultra-stylish little gem and if you're a fan of Dan Duryea from the Fritz Lang noirs, you will love this one. He's front and center as the leader of a crew of thieves. He and Jane Mansfield of all people give really affecting preformances, this film does a wonderful job of capturing the dead-end lives and cynical dialogue of the best pulps. Another cool thing about this one is the presence of Martha Vickers (from THE BIG SLEEP), she's not a great actress but she has an undeniable bad girl sexiness. It's a shame this is the first home video release of any kind for it, I'm certain it would have a minor cult following if it had been easier to see. There's some interesting Atlantic City location shooting and it climaxes in a spook house on the boardwalk.

According to a thread on Blu-ray.com by way of the Home Theater Forum, Laura will be getting a Blu-ray release in early 2013.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!