Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

That'll be a must-buy for me. Thanks for the tip.

Happened to see some pretty cool news at the Back Alley Noir forums, seems WAC recently mentioned this on their facebook page "We have recently completed remastering LOOPHOLE, and you'll be seeing it join the WAC roster in the near future." that's the 1954 film with the great Charles McGraw as a relentless investigator who makes life hell for a bank clerk he (wrongly) thinks is a thief. I've never seen this one, and it's high on my McGraw want list. Great news. Here's an interesting tidbit from the McGraw biography by Alan Rode : the son of the film's producer recalled that the casting call for hard drinkers for LOOPHOLE might have been held at A.A.

Another couple interesting things I learned at the BAN boards is (1) that at least for the initial pressings of multi-disc sets, they use pressed discs at WAC, and (2) BORN TO BE BAD will feature a never seen alternate ending as a bonus feature.

Here's the thread link

I've never seen Loophole either but was always intrigued by the poster art (that I think I first came across in some poster book I was skimming through at Powells in Portland years back).

Name:  imagesCA2KWWFW.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  11.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Watched Woman In The Window the other day. Excellent noir. Edward G meets a hot bit of tail and through an unfortunate string of events kills a guy. By a massive stroke of coincidence Edward happens to be good mates with the investigating DA and sets about accidentally incriminating himself himself with gusto. Big lush production, solid little story all horribly let down by what may be the worst ending in cinema history when (MAJOR SPOILAGE) Edward G wakes up to discover it was all a dream. "And you were in it. And you were in it!"

I've never been fond of the end of WOMAN IN THE WINDOW either but I still love the film. I wish Fritz Lang had made about 10 more films with Edward G. Robinson, Dan Duryea, and Joan Bennett.

I checked out THE DARK MIRROR, one of the earlier "which one of the twins is the insane killer?" films. Directed with typical flair by Robert Siodmak who does a great job of starting the film out in a pretty light-hearted manner and then slowly adding to the tension. Nice, non-showy performance from Olivia De Havilland in the dual roles and the effect when both twins are onscreen together is very seamless. Pretty incredible use of mirrors in the film to amplify the twin motif, seriously, you would get bombed if you took a shot every time there's a mirror onscreen.

Robert Siodmak is one of my favorite noir directors, he's got a very impressive noir lineup:

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY
    CRY OF THE CITY
    THE DARK MIRROR
    THE FILE ON THELMA JORDAN
    THE KILLERS
    PHANTOM LADY
    THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE
    UNCLE HARRY

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I wish Fritz Lang had made about 10 more films with Edward G. Robinson, Dan Duryea, and Joan Bennett.
    Yeah, this. THE BURGLAR's now on my priority list, thanks.

Charles McGraw was also great as the black hat gunfighter that John Cassavetes (as Robert Taylor's unstable junior sibling) takes down at the start of SADDLE THE WIND.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Smith View Post

Charles McGraw was also great as the black hat gunfighter that John Cassavetes (as Robert Taylor's unstable junior sibling) takes down at the start of SADDLE THE WIND.
    He sure was, really, I don't think I've seen McGraw give a poor performance though. He's definitely at his best in a baddie role. One of my favorites is his seriously pissed escaped con Red Kluger in THE THREAT.

By the way, Clive, I hope you like THE BURGLAR (the whole set is good too), the Film Noir Encyclopedia review remarks on Paul Wendkos' direction, saying he's concerned with ostentatious imagery in the manner of Orson Welles (!). It really is a well-shot, stylish film though.

Paul Wendkos? He was quite an innovator in television using set-ups that were way ahead of their time. A favorite director of mine. His movie-of-the-weeks were produced and shot like feature films. Among my favorite Wendkos films are the Hawaii Five-0 pilot movie, The Mephisto Waltz, The Underground Man and The Legend of Lizzie Borden. I'll be getting this noir set anyhow, but the inclusion of a Wendkos means I'll hurry up and buy it.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Watched PRIVATE HELL 36 recently, I had a tv recording of this so it was pretty cool to see it on BD and widescreen. Still holds up wonderfully, with terrific performances from the main 4 of Lupino, Cochran, Duff and Malone (who looks incredibly sexy here). Don Siegel has said the set was pretty tense, what with Lupino making out with Cochran in the film while her current husband Howard Duff looked on and former husband (and co-writer, co-producer) Collier Young watched from behind the camera. The booze supposedly flowed freely during filming, not hard to believe. I hope some of you others that picked this up will post your thoughts when you get to it. Some great location photography and hard boiled dialogue here - "some people plant flowers in their backyard, I plant keys."

Name:  Private%20Hell%2036.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  36.9 KB