Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Noir Thread! Gats, dames, and cheap hooch welcome.

Saw that Image has their own BD of SUDDENLY coming Dec. 4, might be worth waiting for that one. It's only a few bucks more at Amazon.

Name:  suddenly.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  17.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Saw that Image has their own BD of SUDDENLY coming Dec. 4, might be worth waiting for that one. It's only a few bucks more at Amazon.

Just got a press release for this...

IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT PRESENTS THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTOR'S EDITION OF A CLASSIC FRANK SINATRA FILM!

SUDDENLY

-Transferred from Original 35mm Studio Fine Grain Master Print
    -Bonus Features Include New Audio Commentary By Frank Sinatra, Jr.

See It As You've Never Seen It Before On Blu-Ray(TM) December 4, 2012

Chatsworth, CA - On December 4th, Image Entertainment presents Suddenly, the 1954 film noir classic starring Frank Sinatra, on Blu-Ray(TM) in pristine HD. Transferred from the original 35mm studio fine grain master print and featuring new commentaries by Frank Sinatra Jr. and USC film professor Dr. Drew Casper, Suddenly features Sinatra as a violent and volatile hitman in a unforgettable white-knuckled thriller. This release will be available for an SRP of $19.98. Pre-book is November 6th.

Terror comes to the sleepy small town of Suddenly when a cold-blooded assassin takes a family hostage. Now, the clock is ticking and every precious second counts as they band together to stop this methodical killer before he can carry out his shocking plan. Frank Sinatra gives a "tour de force" (The New York Times) performance in the most shocking role of his career. Sterling Hayden (The Killing) costars as the sheriff who is pitted against this cool and cunning psychopath in a tense battle of wills.

This was Frank Sinatra's first film following his Academy Award®-winning performance in From Here to Eternity. Available here in HD with superior picture and sound, the Blu-Ray(TM) not only contains the new commentaries, but also a groundbreaking 1957 short film N.Y., N.Y.: A Day in New York by director Francis Thompson, and an image gallery. Daring for its day, Suddenly remains a controversial classic of unnerving suspense.

About Image Entertainment:

Image Entertainment, Inc. is a leading independent licensee and distributor of entertainment programming in North America, with approximately 3,700 exclusive DVD titles and approximately 300 exclusive CD titles in domestic release and more than 550 programs internationally via sublicense agreements. For many of its titles, the Company has exclusive audio and broadcast rights, as well as digital download rights to approximately 2,600 video programs and approximately 400 audio titles containing more than 5,600 individual tracks. The Company is headquartered in Chatsworth, California. For more information about Image Entertainment, Inc., please go to www.image-entertainment.com.

Suddenly Blu-Ray(TM)
    Genre: Classics, Drama, Thriller, Film Noir, 50s
    Rating: N/A
    Language: English
    Format: Black & White
    Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 (Enhanced for 16x9 TVs)
    Audio: DTS HD Master Audio 1.0 L/R
    Year: 1954
    MSRP: $19.98
    Street Date: December 4, 2012
    Pre-Book: November 6, 2012
    Length: 76 minutes
    UPC: 014381820058
    Cat#: ID8200DSBD
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Thanks for posting that, Ian. I am definitely going to wait for the Image BD, I have no doubt it will be the best option. A few bucks more, but not much really.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

SUDDENLY is okay but what's really needed is Sinatra's other assassination movie, THE NAKED RUNNER (1967). When Robert Kennedy, whom Sinatra knew, was assassinated the following year, it rattled him. He took the film out of circulation and it's been missing in action ever since.

Last edited by Richard--W; 09-24-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

I watched a fairly interesting noir recently, THE SECOND WOMAN. It's about a man whose fiancee died on the eve of their wedding, he's devistated by grief and strange things are happening to him - his dog is poisoned, his horse breaks a leg in its pen, his house burns down, etc. Is he losing his mind and doing it himself or is it something more sinister? Robert Young stars and he's fine but this film is somewhat weakened by his costar, Betsy Drake. She's fine in light comedy but not suited for noir, too bland and rigid. The film has a nice, almost gothic atmosphere though, it opens with Drake narrating over shots of Young's clifftop home ala REBECCA. Got this in a 50 movie Mill Creek set, The Nifty Fifties. It has a variety of films, some repeats from other sets and some new to me like this one.

Andre de Toth's western noir RAMROD (1947) comes to Blu-ray on November 20th.

If you were impressed by CRIME WAVE and DAY OF THE OUTLAW, wait til you see this western noir from Olive Films.

You'll know it's adapted from a Luke Short novel at the first line of dialogue. This is one hardboiled western with notable performances from Joel McCrea, Don DeFore and Veronica Lake -- who, under the direction of her husband, plays a felonious femme fatale to the hilt.

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Yes, I'm looking forward to RAMROD, never seen it but have read almost unanimous praise...and what's not to like about Veronica Lake and Joel McCrea? I'm particularly excited about it after just recently seeing de Toth's PITFALL for the first time.

Olive Films is probably my favorite company right now, they're releasing BDs of rare noirs like PRIVATE HELL 36 and THE DARK MIRROR, as well as westerns like this and the Byron Haskin/Edmond O'Brien oaters SILVER CITY and DENVER AND RIO GRANDE, as well as THE JAYHAWKERS, RUN FOR COVER, etc. They have THE TRAP coming next month too, that looks intriguing.

The forthcoming TCM/Universal noir set is available for preorder now - it's the long-awaited region 1 debuts of PHANTOM LADY, THE BLUE DAHLIA, and THE GLASS KEY. The set streets Dec. 3 and if you preorder now it's $5 off, for a total of $29.99. These are 3 excellent noirs, PHANTOM LADY is one of my top 5 for sure and the two Ladd/Lake films are great as well. Raymond Chandler wrote the screenplay for THE BLUE DAHLIA, famously going on a massive bender in order to finish it on time. Can't wait for this one, looks like a dark Christmas this year!

The forthcoming TCM/Universal noir set is available for preorder now - it's the long-awaited region 1 debuts of PHANTOM LADY, THE BLUE DAHLIA, and THE GLASS KEY. The set streets Dec. 3 and if you preorder now it's $5 off, for a total of $29.99. These are 3 excellent noirs, PHANTOM LADY is one of my top 5 for sure and the two Ladd/Lake films are great as well. Raymond Chandler wrote the screenplay for THE BLUE DAHLIA, famously going on a massive bender in order to finish it on time. Can't wait for this one, looks like a dark Christmas this year!
    Andrew, have you heard anything about whether these films will get individual releases? I already have the R2 DVD's of Dahlia and Key so it would be great to be able to get Phantom Lady without having to double-dip on the others...

I've never seen Phantom Lady but that's another one that I always thought had an awesome poster. For some reason I like the way she's creeping out of the book...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rock! Shock! Pop!