Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dexter Thread

..I thought DEXTER had a pretty cool premise and, for a while at least, it seems like people thought that they managed to expand the initial idea well.....but in the end it seems like they couldnt make it work all the time...and, hence, not worth my time to sit through it all...

Failed opportunity it can be classed as on the whole?

Quote Originally Posted by sukebanboy View Post
    Failed opportunity it can be classed as on the whole?
    I wouldn't rag on it that hard. I'd say at least half of it is excellent, the other half middling, and the final season crap. The good outweighs the bad, but it ends on a really low note.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I went back and revisited the series with the lady, and found that so much of it is kinda just.....meh. I remember saying that the first 4 seasons were fantastic, and then when we were watching it....the second season, with "Lila"...I was wincing at how terrible it was.

The John Lithgow/Jimmy Smits seasons are amazing, though.

I said it once and I'll say it again, the run with Tom Hanks' kid and the whole religious killer thing was good too.

Lila was annoying first go around, don't know if I need her again. At least, if I remember correctly, she was reason for some nudity, hah.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I went back and revisited the series with the lady, and found that so much of it is kinda just.....meh. I remember saying that the first 4 seasons were fantastic, and then when we were watching it....the second season, with "Lila"...I was wincing at how terrible it was.

The John Lithgow/Jimmy Smits seasons are amazing, though.
    Seasons three and four (with Smits and Lithgow) are definitely worth watching, I agree.

I almost gave up on season two, with Lila. I'd have to watch it again to be more specific as to why, but I remember that some of the narrative developments in that season didn't seem to work for me - especially what happened to Doakes, who I thought was a very interesting character within the series as a whole.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

It's one of those that shows people I share living spaces with watch so I've seen a lot of it without ever really wanting to watch it myself. It's often quite clever and there's a few laughs but the central premise is hard to get your head around. Critical reviews are always pressing how daring it is to have a show about serial killers. But they're cute serial killers. Dexter doesn't kill out of rage or deep seated mysogny and he certainly never rapes the victims (before or after the deed) as serial killers are wont to do. The characters essentially make no sense. Killings just an addiction and that's apparently ernough, like the whole show is a parable for trying to give up smoking.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Killings just an addiction and that's apparently ernough, like the whole show is a parable for trying to give up smoking.
    That's a fairly major theme that's explored in the second season, as I recall.

But yes, one of the hurdles I encountered when I started watching the first series was just how, well, sympathetic Dexter was - and how relatively 'tame' his crimes are. Like you say, Dom, it's a 'cutesy' take on a horrific subject; the premise is, arguably, faulty. It took a while for me to get over that barrier to my enjoyment of the series. On the other hand, it uses this premise as a springboard for exploring ideas about family, identity, nature/nurture, social roles, the social contract, etc, and its exploration of those themes make it very interesting - at least, when it's on form. Plus, there are some great performances from guest stars (Keith Carradine, Jimmy Smiths, etc).
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Plus, there are some great performances from guest stars (Keith Carradine, Jimmy Smiths, etc).
    There's definitely a lot to recommend it particularly when they had a good series guest star. For a show about a psychopath though I think its a long way behind House Of Cards and Profit which are my two favourites. Those two characters were absolutely amoral in a totally believable way. The characters are rotten and basically evil at their core but they would never think of themselves in those terms. Kind of makes them the complete inverse of Dexter really who's basically a superhero who thinks he's evil.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    There's definitely a lot to recommend it particularly when they had a good series guest star. For a show about a psychopath though I think its a long way behind House Of Cards and Profit which are my two favourites.
    The American remake of HOUSE OF CARDS or the original, Dom? I haven't caught up with the American version yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I said it once and I'll say it again, the run with Tom Hanks' kid and the whole religious killer thing was good too.

Lila was annoying first go around, don't know if I need her again. At least, if I remember correctly, she was reason for some nudity, hah.
    Haha, seeing as how I just watched the godawful Fright Night 2 remake, I don't care if she's naked or not, she annoys the piss out of me.

Colin Hanks was great, but I didn't like the season itself. The twist ending was terribly executed....as in you could see it coming from about 6 miles away like a CGI Hurricane.