Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Roth Announces The Green Inferno - a new cannibal movie?

I have no problem with the found footage gimmick so long as it's done well and the story fits it.

I realize I'm probably in the minority there though.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I have no problem with the found footage gimmick so long as it's done well and the story fits it.

I realize I'm probably in the minority there though.
    Problem is, you can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times that film makers HAVE done it well and the story fits it....same with ANY gimmick that becomes popular in movies (applicable to the use of 3-D in films these days)

...and CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST was one of the FIRST...and definintely hard to out-do THAT movie and its use of found footage...

Definitely. I agree that it's overused and more of a gimmick than anything else. But I still feel it can be a valid way of telling a story so long as it makes sense to use it.

I'm a sucker for the Paranormal Activity movies, for example. I know they're milking it for all its worth and that it's played out, and that there are HUGE logic gaps in the use of the 'found footage' but for me, they work. They entertain me and creep me out a bit. I have a hard time defending them outside of those comments though. I'm very aware of exactly what they are.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I can understand you keeping hope alive for a GOOD use of found footage in a movie, and I DO concede to you the fact that, if a talented film maker with a clear idea of how to use that idea to tell an interesting story comes along , then it is possible to make a great film with it......

.....just I highly doubt that the person to raise the bar on found footage movies is going to be Eli Roth....but you never know, he could surprise us!

On this last point we agree. I don't have enough faith in him to say 'he's the right choice' but I'd love to be surprised.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I don't have enough faith in him to say 'he's the right choice' but I'd love to be surprised.
    Me too..but it is highly unlikely.....It would need to be someone new, floating under the radar to get a decent "found footage" movie out there without studio interference...or maybe someone from overseas could do it...

Holy fuck I just thought of something:

What if Roth casts Giovanni Lombardo Radice as a Mike Logan-like character?
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

So this is still on, principal photography starts in Nov. according to Bloody Disgusting.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Couldn't be any worse than Franco's Cannibal films.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I also like Roth and am excited for this!