Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help The Opening Of Misty Beethoven Head To Blu-ray!

Help The Opening Of Misty Beethoven Head To Blu-ray!

Name:  ca83c385e7f64971b4392fae9394aab2_large.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  93.4 KB

Distribpix has just announced that they're going to try to bring Radley Metzger's classic adult film The Opening Of Misty Beethoven to Blu-ray if they can raise enough money to make it happen. As such, they're started a fundraising campaign that you can view here: http://projectmisty.com/

In a nutshell, the DVD is going to happen no matter what. The Blu-ray is going to cost a bit more and so that's where this campaign comes in. By pledging, you're not charged until and unless the target is hit - so if this doesn't happen, you're not out anything. If it does happen, you'll get some pretty great 'rewards' based on how much you pledge to the project.

Anyone interested in this should pledge at least $35, that way you're getting yourself a copy of the Blu-ray (which will be dual layered and include ALL of the extras from the DVD in HD), shipped. It's basically the same concept as preordering yourself a copy of the Blu-ray - with your hard earned $'s pledged, Distribpix can move forward with the replication and licensing costs involved in bringing this to the format.

There are a lot more rewards available to those who want to pledge more, however, including soundtrack CDs (with 48 pages of liners), posters, prints, credits on the disc, access to theatrical screenings, exclusive discs of outtake footage and a lot more. Again, all of that can be seen here.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This is up to almost a grand alread, less than an hour after going live.

Anyone who hasn't, check out the video on the kickstarter page.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

How come it costs so much more to make a blu ray? I actually find it easier to master a blu ray than a DVD. Is it just Sony charging a shit load for rights to stick the bluray logo on the cover? If so they should be stuck in a cage and poked with pointed sticks.
    In preproduction: www.lovesexandrobots.com

Licensing fees are a big part of it, replication fees too.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

As Ian said, Sony ask for a lot of money in advance for a certain number of units whatever they are sold or not and if they are pressed or not. You can see that as a modern form of mafia protection...

It's the big reason why most of the small labels don't take the Blu-Ray road, what would be the point of giving a large part of their small profit (when they do one) to Sony?
    Last edited by Jimmy Simard; 05-31-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Just finished backing this. It's now 26% funded on opening day. Let's make it happen.
    Wish I could afford to back Misty Beethoven and the HGL blu-rays.

It's bullshit that sony have been able to take this position. The independent labels should band together to offer a HD download service. I know I'd far prefer a HD .avi I could download over a physical disc I have to wait for in the mail. No royalties then except to those who have earnt them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    The independent labels should band together to offer a HD download service.
    You realize that some of us even if they have an high speed connection are on plan with limitation (mine being 5 Go). So it means that I would be able to buy anything with an HD download service and no more physical disc...

If the other other HD format would have been the successfull one the actual license fee practice wouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Simard View Post
    If the other other HD format would have been the successfull one the actual license fee practice wouldn't be a problem.
    Yup, which is why I was an HD-DVD supporter until they lost the format war. Regardless, Blu-ray is a great format and I'm keeping my fingers crossed this'll happen. I'd love to see the movie properly restored in HD and for those of us who want a physical disc, this is the only way that's going to happen.

While I understand the ease, appeal and simplicity of a download, Distribpix does such a great job with the packaging and presentation and physical extras on their top shelf releases and you wouldn't get that with a download.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Simard View Post
    You realize that some of us even if they have an high speed connection are on plan with limitation (mine being 5 Go). So it means that I would be able to buy anything with an HD download service and no more physical disc...
    That sucks but then some of us don't have a Blu-Ray player which sucks as well for stuff like the Grindhouse release. Even if I was feeling wealthy enough to do get one I'm not sure I want to encourage the bastards. Personally I don't care a lot about resolution and whatnot but if I was the sort who did I'd want an uncompressed .avi routed straight from my harddrive to my computer.