Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Shout! Factory to unleash... Scream Factory!

Nice one Robin, Always glad to see your work get appreciated and you gettting Paid!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Bougie View Post
    I'm a huge fan of ARROW, and absolutely love what they've done -- especially in terms of cover art, and extras. Really professional company. They've been good to me as well, as I've written liner notes and did one of their "lame comic booky covers". They pay on time, and seem like nice guys. Also, just to be clear: I'm unaware of whatever other drama you guys are talking about with who they are associated with, and don't really care that much regardless. Also haven't had any dealings with Callum Waddel, or know anything about his writing.
    Its good you got paid Robin because Calum Waddell spent an awful lot of time working for a man who was both an incorrigible plagiarist and an exploiter of artists - Allen Bryce. I care about artists so I tend to care when they are being exploited. Many of those people were quite well known from the Maniacs days and honest individuals. Calum then spent a lot of time on the internet defending Bryce and attacking his critics. As for his writing - its filled with gems like this one - "I'm after every original print of Cannibal Holocaust so I can burn the lot!" written before he then got paid to do some extras on the Shameless Blu ray and viola! - all of a sudden its a genre classic. Go through some Arrow discs and you'll find the man as prevalent as maggots in a graveyard.

I do envy you for not being familiar with his writing though!

I'm unaware of whatever other drama you guys are talking about
    I did link to the explanation.

Shout! Factory to unleash... Scream Factory!

Looks like Shout! billed my credit card yesterday. Am I going to be getting my HALLOWEEN II and III almost a month early?

??? I don't get it. Spell it out for me.

This is what I can gather: You guys think Arrow is a bad company because someone who works there once stood up for and defended a plagerist? I would totally understand your stance if Arrow themselves had plagerized, but this honestly doesn't seem like that horrible of a crime.

To put it another way: I'm about 99% positive people who work for other dvd companies you adore, have at some point, had opinions you wouldn't agree with, or perhaps have defended the actions of others that you would be dead-set against.

Shout! Factory to unleash... Scream Factory!

How about this - I dislike Arrow because they often do shoddy transfers (THE BEYOND'S first pressing with the incorrect opening sequence and the butt ugly TENEBRAE transfer), ruin potentially good extras with awful and endless animated intros and have often sloppy customer service. And their discs often feature the involvement of an annoying and talentless genre writer/"personality".

And I have none of these issues with Shout! factory who do generally excellent work, have cool people like Cliff M working for them and efficient customer service.

So there is my Arrow position - and not a single mention of Bryce, DARK SIDE or plagiarism.

I will make one final point through. Much like Chick-Fil-A one is judged by the company they keep and having someone like Wadell prominently involved with your company DOES say something.

I don't doubt that these criticisms of Arrow Video are valid. But I will say one thing in their defense: my personal experience with their customer service has been worlds better than with some other DVD companies. I picked up their release of The Beyond when it came out -- since I had seen the movie recently and didn't hear anything about the transfer problems I didn't check out the disc. The discussion in here about the problems with that release was the first I heard about the color issues, so I checked out my copy this week...sure enough it was one of the bad ones. So I e-mailed Arrow and within a matter of hours had a very polite e-mail from them informing me that a replacement disc was in the mail to me.

Contrast that with my experience with Raro Video. The first pressing of their release of Massimo Dallamano's Dorian Gray was faulty as well. But this wasn't a color issue -- an hour into the movie the DVD would freeze and could not play past that point. What happened when I e-mailed Raro about having a faulty copy (of what was a well known production problem)? I was told I was welcome to buy the corrected edition from their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Apronikoff View Post
    I don't doubt that these criticisms of Arrow Video are valid. But I will say one thing in their defense: my personal experience with their customer service has been worlds better than with some other DVD companies. I picked up their release of The Beyond when it came out -- since I had seen the movie recently and didn't hear anything about the transfer problems I didn't check out the disc. The discussion in here about the problems with that release was the first I heard about the color issues, so I checked out my copy this week...sure enough it was one of the bad ones. So I e-mailed Arrow and within a matter of hours had a very polite e-mail from them informing me that a replacement disc was in the mail to me.

Contrast that with my experience with Raro Video. The first pressing of their release of Massimo Dallamano's Dorian Gray was faulty as well. But this wasn't a color issue -- an hour into the movie the DVD would freeze and could not play past that point. What happened when I e-mailed Raro about having a faulty copy (of what was a well known production problem)? I was told I was welcome to buy the corrected edition from their website.
    Fair enough - sometimes its a matter of personal experience. Initially, Arrow refused to even admit that there was an error on the BEYOND, then they left bad copies out for sale at even Amazon and some people had to wait ages for the corrected version and finally there was a point where Arrow said that they were no longer sending out replacement discs. Finally it all seems to have settled down and the copies at Amazon are all correct etc. I personally waited well over a year since the initial release to avoid getting a bum copy.

For all my complaints about Arrow I do own a fair number of their discs - both DEMONS Blus, THE BEYOND, DAY OF THE DEAD and BAY OF BLOOD. They are simply a company that I have issues with, that's all.

You guys think Arrow is a bad company because someone who works there once stood up for and defended a plagerist?
    No, not just that guy (though that's not exactly a good look). They employ the actual plagiarist... the Dark Side (and other mags) editor who was personally responsible for committing the plagiarizing, profiting from it for years, then lying about it and covering it up.

I've written liner notes and did one of their "lame comic booky covers"
    For the record, I don't think the artwork is badly drawn or anything; and I don't mean to criticize your artistic ability. I just think they're completely inappropriate for the films... they make them look like anime or something. I'm sure your drawings would make great covers for actual comic books or comic-related media. It's Arrow's decision to make their movies look like comics that I dislike.

Cover art for the upcoming Blu-ray release of Peter Benchley's The Island.

Name:  599244_162938423843177_650699329_n.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  52.4 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!