Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrow Releasing Zombie On Blu-ray

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    This movie has grown on me over the years and I'd like to hear the commentary by Thrower and Jones and the doc with Kim Newman but with the region lock I guess I'd be limited to watching this on my computer. Hmmm...Click!
    Same with me...First time I saw it I was disappointed....It was NOT what I was expecting from a zombie movie....but over the years I have come to love teh whole atmosphere, pacing and direction of this one and like it for what it is....

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    They've at least made an attempt at quality control on this release by hiring James White to supervise the scan and transfer. He's been behind all the best recent BFI releases and the MoC restoration of The Passion of Joan of Arc. Dude knows exactly what he's doing.

Pity that kind of care hasn't extended to the rest of the process. I'll probably end up getting it at some point, but I can't imagine ever pre-ordering anything Arrow releases. Then again, even if most of the disc was a disaster I'd be tempted by the Jones/Thrower commentary. Ever since his fantastic segments on the Video Nasties set I'd happily throw down cash for pretty much anything Stephen Thrower related.
    Also, no other label get so much unjust criticism as Arrow. The only truly dissapointing release of theirs i've seen is the odd-looking BD of "Tenebrae", everything else has looked good or great. If you compare with some of their earlier DVD releases they have come a long, long way during the last years. It feels like they're starting to fill up the role Blue Underground served a couple of years back with their genre releases. Their BD release of "Zombie" seems like the definitive release, i'm glad I waited for the reviews and didn't pick up the BU disc right away.

Nice to see ARROW have learned from their mistakes when they were starting out....kind hard to please everyone (especially cult movie nerds!!) so I guess like most things you should take them on a case-by-case basis....Looks like they have done well on this release though!!

Its times like these I miss VIPCO

Many viewers were disappointed with the low quality of the discs in relation to the relatively high price they sold for.
    Many of their DVD's featured the same dated full frame transfers from their earlier VHS releases and no extras in blatant contradiction of the "Digitally Remastered" banners appearing on the company's DVD packaging. [

Vipco put out some of the worst discs I've seen. Some of them were complete shit.

They had some cool titles that you couldn't really get anywhere else though.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Oh thank goodness this is an old thread. I thought it was being re-re-re-rereleased.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Jacobsson View Post
    Also, no other label get so much unjust criticism as Arrow. The only truly dissapointing release of theirs i've seen is the odd-looking BD of "Tenebrae", everything else has looked good or great. If you compare with some of their earlier DVD releases they have come a long, long way during the last years. It feels like they're starting to fill up the role Blue Underground served a couple of years back with their genre releases. Their BD release of "Zombie" seems like the definitive release, i'm glad I waited for the reviews and didn't pick up the BU disc right away.
    They do get a fair bit of stick but I would say that much of it is justified. While one can forgive certain instances where they've run with sub-par elements the licensor has supplied (and lord knows that Blue Underground is guilty of the same) many of the most egregious muck-ups appear to be easily avoidable, which I suspect is why people get so riled up.

While their 'Inferno' release was mostly excellent, the transfer has been noise-reduced to an unacceptable degree. Assuming they were working from the same master as BU (which appears to be the case) then the problem lies on their end. 'The Beyond' was initially pressed with incorrect colour in one sequence and problematic compression. 'Demons' appears to be a great master element burdened with unpleasant compression artifacts. The list goes on. The main problem appears to be a lack of quality control, as these issues could all be easily rectified, and were in the case of 'The Beyond'.

Oddly, this doesn't extend to their newer DVDs. All the DVD releases I've bought from them have been superb, particularly Opera. Their mistakes in the field of Blu-Ray just feel like amateur slip-ups. For fans who have bought release after release of these films, Blu-Ray looks like the end of the road, both due to the exhaustion of double and triple-dipping and the sense that the era of physical media is slowly coming to an end. To have handsomely packaged physical copies of these films with quality audio-visual presentations is a god-send, and to have the most important part of that equation, the films themselves, messed up is incredibly disheartening. It wouldn't be so awful for Arrow to miss the mark in terms of their A/V if they didn't get everything else so right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Vipco put out some of the worst discs I've seen. Some of them were complete shit.
    Amen. My first viewing of the Beyond was on a VIPCO disc. As much as I enjoyed the film, something felt a bit off. Then I realised they had cropped the transfer from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1, totally wrecking Fulci's compositions. My first VIPCO disc became my last.

I have this pre-ordered at Diabolik.

Come on..I always felt a cool chill when I saw this on my tv screen

Wasnt usually this good quality though!!!

I went ahead and bit on this one. Who knows how many times I've bought this movie...but the transfer looks like it's going to be pretty great and I have a compulsion for steel books when it comes to cult-type movies.

Mine just landed this morning. I can't believe I've bought another copy of this - it must be around the ninth or tenth version of ZF I've scooped up over the years.

Spot-checked and does indeed look amazing. Very nice package overall... and one day, I'll watch it.