Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012, The Summer of Zatoichi

I fondly remember when IFC used to showcase Zatoichi quite a bit during their "Samurai Saturdays" programming...shame that channel has gone to total shit of late.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    I fondly remember when IFC used to showcase Zatoichi quite a bit during their "Samurai Saturdays" programming...shame that channel has gone to total shit of late.
    You and me both. I used to watch those on a weekly basis but as time has passed most of them have sort of blended into one big movie.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

haha Samurai Saturdays was what inspired me to do my own! It was just random Samurai flicks until I watched the first three Zatoichis.

ADVENTURES OF ZATOICHI (1964)

One of the weaker entries so far. Zatoichi runs into 1) a young woman trying to help her fugitive brother, 2) a young woman trying to track down her missing father 3) and old drunkard who may or may not be an estranged relative of Zatoichi's, and 4) two young acrobat brothers who really like to do head-stands. Ultimately, these strands kinda, sorta, not really come together. I think the problem here was that it seemed like the writer took a bunch of ideas for Zatoichi stories that he couldn't flesh out into full features and tried to combine them all into one. The only thing that was particularly compelling was Zatoichi's relationship with the old man, but that ends up getting very little screen time because the movie is just all over the place. The brothers are endearing, and the girl who's looking for her father is particularly cute, but the plots they're involved in never feel like they get off the ground.

Not bad, but far from essential.

This might be of interest to some of you...

"Zatoichi 1-6 (and the set of all 7) go out of print on September 18th, 2012, and Zatoichi 7 goes out of print on January 15th, 2013. Stock is limited, so don't delay if you want copies!"

You can get them at Animeigo's site right now for $7.99 each.

http://www.animeigo.com/products/samurai/zatoichi
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I posted this in the Criterion thread, but if this ends up not being related to a Criterion release it will fit here. Yuko Shimizu posted this drawing of Shintaro Katsu‬ ‪as Zatoichi‬ on her facebook page

Eclipse sets don't get new art. It could be a blu of just the first two films, since the previous dvds were nonanamorphic.

For you guys that don't visit The Criterion Collection Thread on the General Cinema board:

November 26
    Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman

Larger versions of the Zatoichi art
    1-9
    10-18
    19-25

Some of the cover art is really bleh...especially the One Armed Swordsman one. I thought that one was a rough draft & wasn't expecting it to be the final version. oh well, small price to pay to see Zatoichi on blu ray plus the book looks really nice too. I see the SRP is $225 & due out in November which should coincide with the next B&N 50% off sale. The only downer is that it is dual format with 18 DVDs + 9 Blu rays -- they should've just released it straight to blu ray and lowered the price of the entire set.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"