Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012, The Summer of Zatoichi

Last year Best Buy did a 50% off Criterion in December, but I can't recall Amazon ever doing a 50% off all Criterions sale like B&N

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick King View Post
    Last year Best Buy did a 50% off Criterion in December, but I can't recall Amazon ever doing a 50% off all Criterions sale like B&N
    My bad. I must've confused BB with Amazon. I don't have anymore BB GCs or rewards points left, so B&N it is then. Just hope I'm able to use another 30% or 20% off coupon in addition to my membership discount when I pick it up in-store. The CSR I met today seemed real cool though...I'll just have to make sure I go on day that's he's working behind the counter.

I think what happened last year was that Amazon did price match some Criterion Blu-rays during the Best Buy 50% off sale but not all of them.

I received a call from B&N earlier today saying they have my Zatoichi CC boxset for in-store pickup & was thinking about picking it up tomorrow but I might hold out for the mystery Black Friday coupons that will be appearing tomorrow or Thursday. Rumors are it could possibly be a 40% off one for members -- so if I'm able to apply that one with my regular 10% membership discount & stack the $5 off $50 then I can score the set for around $55 + tax. Man, I'll shit my drawers if I can get it for that amount.

After a lot of running around visiting the in-laws & Black Friday shopping, I finally managed to pick up my copy of Zatoichi today at B&N. The CSR did me a solid because at first, the register failed to scan my 40% off Black Friday coupon but he manually overrode the system and gave me the 40% discount + my usual 10% membership discount. I also had on hand an $8 off $40 coupon but didn't want to press the matter since he already did me a favor on the 40% off -- so to be able to get a $225 SRP box set for $65 is what the holiday spirit is all about! I just wish Criterion included those cool mini original posters like the HVE DVDs but oh well, can't have everything.

Just took a quick gander at the Zatoichi box set and checked out the supplemental features & #22 in the series, Zatoichi meets the One Armed Swordsman. As per their usual standard, Criterion did a wonderful job on the digital restoration & lossless audio and it's a real treat to finally see these movies in full HD.

As far as the supplements, I didn't particularly care for the John Nathan documentary as it seemed draggy at times but it does show the larger than life figure that Katsu Shintaro was on and off the set. The behind the scenes interactions with his wife & two children were the most interesting and entertaining parts IMHO. The real highlight of the supplements was the interview with Tony Rayns. I always found his commentaries insightful & erudite and this was no exception. His background commentary on Shintaro Katsu's nascent rise in the industry to his place in Japanese cinema history as well as his portrayal of the Zatoichi character was enlightening and informative. All in all, a fantastic effort by Criterion and a must have for any Zatoichi fan or Japanese cinema fan in general.

I have to admit I got quite a chuckle when it was revealed by John Nathan that Katsu was making romantic overtures to legendary wrestler, Antonio Inoki's wife and was scared shitless of the possible repercussions & made himself scarce around Inoki. Don't want to fuck around with another man's woman especially someone like Inoki.

Argh, I'm dying to crack into this, but it is my Christmas present, so I can't.