Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012, The Summer of Zatoichi

I recently picked up a cool OOP book about Shintaro Katsu titled SHINTARO KATSU ILLUSTRATED: It's a Man's Man's Man's World put out by Pie Books. It was originally part of a special combo package with Kitano's Zatoichi Japanese DVD but I just picked it up separately. Best part is it is in English as well as Japanese & features a lot of full color photos of all his movie posters & LP covers & even includes a foreword by Dennis Hopper!

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

OK, so since I got the Criterion set for my birthday last month I've now got the excuse I need to sit down and revisit the entire run, in the order they were made. Watched Tale Of Zatoichi last night and while it's a little slow at times, Katsu is just so watchable and amazing that it almost doesn't matter. The ending is inevitible, you know it's coming but it's still entirely appropriate. That final bit where, avoiding spoilers, he walks around the road instead of down the road, is sad but obviously sets up more adventures to come and establishes him as a wanderer/drifter type.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'm working my way through them all, too, having seen most of them thanks to IFC's Samurai Saturdays. It's great seeing them in some kind of chronological order.
    It's not going to suck itself...

Heads up for anyone interested Criterion's ZATOICHI box set, according to the dvdlist website, it has been discontinued. Since Criterion still has the rights, I assume this is getting broken up into separate, simpler packaged Blu-ray only and DVD only editions, but who knows...

The Criterion ZATOICHI box is truly amazing. Incredible packaging and notes, too.

Criterion's website lists their ZATOICHI box set as out of print. I suspect that they'll reissue it as separate DVD and blu-ray editions, but nothing has been announced.

-https://twitter.com/ryuganji/status/741836350903619584

it is too bad they couldn't get the last one, but having the main run in one box was still pretty great.

Speaking of the Criterion box, it is coming back into print as a Blu-ray only set on September 13th. The MSRP seems to be about $25 less than the DVD/Blu-ray dual-format set and there is no word on if it'll be packaging will be the same.

Watched Zatoichi The Fugitive yesterday. Not the best of the series, it's a bit slow in the middle stretch, but it builds to a really well done conclusion. A solid cast, some decent sword play and a bit of humor to mix it up with the drama.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!