Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Expendables 2

The Expendables 2

Surprisingly enough I couldn't find a thread for this one. This time around the movie is directed by Simon West (The Mechanic remake, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Con Air) and besides the cast from the first one it features Chuck Norris, Nan Yu (Diamond Dogs), Scott Adkins, Liam Hemsworth (The Hunger Games) and Jean-Claude Van Damme as noteworthy additions.

Storyline (from imdb):
    The Expendables are reunited when Mr. Church enlists them to take on a seemingly simple job. When things go wrong, the Expendables are compelled to seek revenge in hostile territory, where the odds are stacked against them. Hell-bent on payback, the crew cuts a swath of destruction through opposing forces, wreaking havoc and shutting down an unexpected threat in the nick of time - five tons of weapons-grade plutonium, more than enough to change the balance of power in the world. But that's nothing compared to the justice they serve against the villainous adversary they seek revenge from.

Poster:

I dug the first one and I will see this. I dunno if it'll happen in the theater or not but I will see it.

Did you see it Geten? Thoughts?

Anyone else check this out yet? It looks like a lot of awesome corny violent fun.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Went to see it last night and was pleasantly surprised. Although I liked the first one, it didn't really deliver what I had hoped for and expected from it, but this one managed to do so. Better action, funnier and more lighthearted in tone, with lots of throwbacks to the old main actors catalog of work. Sure I'd loved to have seen them use no CGI, but I think it worked pretty good anyway, and I'm a little disappointed there wasn't more martial arts moves than it was from Adkins and Van Damme. But overall I really enjoyed it .

I'd recommend seeing it in the theater, even though it will most likely work just as fine at home in the sofa with a 6-pack of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geten View Post
    I'd recommend seeing it in the theater, even though it will most likely work just as fine at home in the sofa with a 6-pack of beer.
    I find that most things do.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Despite Ian recommending the recluse approach to life I went to see this tonight and I liked it. Sure there were a few ugly CGI shots and the plot was extremely non existant, but the cast elevated this film to hights I could not have imagined. The highlights were the good oneliners and the way to brief fight between Scott Adkins and Jason Statham, like my compatriot mentioned above.

I also agree that this film felt much better then the original. Lighter in tone and more action per minute of running time took care of that. And of course my beloved Jean-Claude Van Damme as the vilain named Vilain.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Without spoiling anything, is Chuck Norris of any use in the cast or is he just a case of novelty casting?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I would say he is more of the latter. A lenghty cameo I would have to say.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

I went in expecting about 10 seconds of Norris and was pleasantly surprised by more like 5 minutes.

I had a blast with this - is it stupid? Yeah - but you also get to see Willis, Arnold and Sly actually interact with each other which is a lot of fun. But Van Damme steals the thing - he's hilarious and looks great. Some critics were making cracks about his mug but I love the weathered version of the Belgian waffle. Will Snipes be out of prison for part 3?

The only way they can top part 2 is by getting Snipes, Jackie Chan, Ron Perlman, Danny Trejo, Steven Segall, Henry Silva, Carl Weathers, Bill Duke, and Jesse Ventura on board.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky