Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: the original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and its sequels

I dunno, "You are all my children, now!" is pretty low. Surpassed many times in other sequels, but that whole pool party is pretty bad.

Oh, and the dance sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
    Nothing in Part II is the low point of the series. Nothing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Casey View Post
    I agree. Part II rules.
    The series definitely has plenty of low points to choose from. So you guys are pleased with Freddy running around a "real world" pool party? He looks smaller than most of the "teens" and it certainly isn't dream like.

These days I only really like Parts 1 and 2. The pool scene might be a low point but the rest of it is great.

Part II has baby Meryl Streep!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason C View Post
    The series definitely has plenty of low points to choose from. So you guys are pleased with Freddy running around a "real world" pool party? He looks smaller than most of the "teens" and it certainly isn't dream like.
    Yeah, doesn't bother me. Plus, there's an interesting change in colors from the first. It's brighter. Reminds me of Breakin' 2 and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. They're all sequel buddies in my head. Plus, I like that it's very different from the first, like Bogus Journey. It's adventurous changing a working formula. I also love Halloween III, so...

I semi-recently (last year or so) rewatched parts 4 & 5... Pretty much what I remember and held up as much/little as I expected. But I have to say, even at the series' worst, at least you can count on some interesting dream sequence kills. Except for part 7, which kept restaging the first one... never found the appeal in that one.
    The original is the only one I care enough about to add to my collection, though. That and the excellent Never Sleep Again doc.
    ...And I liked the pool party sequence in part 2.

It's amazing how good FREDDY VS JASON is. Even before the big showdown it's a fun and competent slasher filled with amazing kills. I really love the flaming machete toss at the party. Freddy looks better than ever and has some great lines. The final battle is epic. When you consider all of the missteps in each franchise it's beyond comprehension that they made a crossover that was faithful to the films that came before it.

They only thing that would have made the film better would have been Kane Hodder as Jason. It's odd that the creators understood the importance of Robert Englund's performance but didn't think the same of Kane Hodder. Even behind a mask and bulky clothes Kane was able to give emotion to Jason like no else could. That said, FREDDY VS JASON still rocks.

I think they really missed the boat on FvJ by not using a piece of fanfic that I wrote when I was about 10 years old (and, which, of course, they had no knowledge of). I had Freddy and Jason meeting like this: some campers fall asleep in their tents, and Freddy is haunting their dreams. At the same time, Jason attacks them, kills them, and ends their dreams. Freddy, pissed off that his prey has been stolen from him, escapes the dream world to settle the score with Jason.

I know I was just 10 years old, but seriously, isn't that a clever and workable way to have them meet? I am still proud of my 10-year old self.

I like that. Nice work.