Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A&E Bringing The Bates Motel To TV!

I didn't much like Season 2, myself.

I thought in the last few episodes it found it's groove. You gotta make your way through a lot of dross to get there though. Still there are good signs for next season. I remain hoipeful. Someones got to.

Half way through S2 right now and yeah, I can see why some might give up because it's getting pretty preposterous (I just wanted to use that word) and over the top but I think the performances still save it and I'm definitely curious as to where it's going.

I still think Vera Farmiga is really, really good in this show. I guess I should finish the season before judging.

I did think the scene where Norman confronted Caleb in the hotel room and spoke as Norma was actually pretty creepy.

I also like the fact that although the hotel is doing well now, they still haven't bothered to paint the house. To me the Bates house should always look like that.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I've got one episode of season two to watch. The first few episodes are fine if you accept that they don't focus on Norma(n), but are quite frustrating if you expect the series to focus on that relationship. The last few episodes that I've watched have been a distinct improvement, however, with the gradual revelations about Norman's internalisation of 'Mother' - especially in 'The Box', which offers the most explicit examination of this them.

The series is pretty trashy, imo, but it's enjoyable trash. Farmiga is very good throughout (I love her hysterical outbursts, which escalate as the season progresses), but I like Highmore's purse-lipped, prissy performance too. The actor I'm most enjoying in the show, however, is Nestor Carbonell, who I only previously remember from that dreadful sitcom with Brooke Shields from the 1990s. He's great as Romano, I think - a truly ambiguous character.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    The actor I'm most enjoying in the show, however, is Nestor Carbonell, who I only previously remember from that dreadful sitcom with Brooke Shields from the 1990s. He's great as Romano, I think - a truly ambiguous character.
    He's my favourite performer in this one too. He actually turned out pretty much the exact same character in Ringer but he did make a great Batmauel on The Tick many years ago.

Ha, we just finished up S2 last night and once we were through with it, yeah, it was Carbonell who really stands out as the best part. Farmiga and Highmore are great and I still think Olivia Cooke is just as cute as a button here (even if she's getting increasingly nosey!) but the character arc with Sheriff Romero in the last few episodes is really good stuff. Like Paul says, it's trashy for sure and frequently preposterous but I don't really care about that so long as it entertains me and yeah, this entertains me. A lot.

Bring on S3!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Joshua Leonard has been added to the cast for S3 according to Deadline.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Weird.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Season 1 - great

Season 2 - a snoozefest

Season 3 - back to great! Creepy as HELL! The chemistry between Vera Farmiga and Freddy Highmore is simply astounding!

Anthony

Agreed! Season 2 really did lose its way, mostly I think because it didn't really even feel like a Psycho story. It was just filler. This one really pushes the story along to the conclusion we know is coming while still having some surprising tricks up its sleeve. Top television.

The one thing that bothers me is that damned oxygen bottle the cute girl drags along. Seems like every show these days has someone with one. Every time I see them I feel like yelling at the screen that that's not the way that's done. She even carts it around at home. Her dad must spend all day refilling the bottles and carting them back and forth from the store.