Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: A&E Bringing The Bates Motel To TV!

EPISODE 9..Penultimate episode for season 1....

Another quiet one with not much forward motion...Next week is the season finale, so looking like all roads lead to that episode

Still a few unanswered questions, but the kinetic speed and intrigue brought on in the first half-dozen episodes has defintitely gone......Although you are starting ot see more and more of the "Anthony Perkins" Norman Bates emerging every week....

Hoping for a return to the frantic WTF-ness of the first few episodes to return for the Finale.....

There's an interview with the series creator here in which he talks about plans for season two.

There are some spoilers there for those who haven't seen S1 all the way through.

I caught part of an episode the other night while channel surfing, and it intrigued me enough that I turned it off so that I can watch all of it in sequence once the Blu comes out. I'm glad to see this has turned out to be worth watching.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Well that was a decent final epsidoe I guess. I got the impression watching this that the first 6 episodes were a lot more preplanned than what came afterwards. Almost like they were originally making a six episode series and then quickly had to come up with a new story for the last four. Still slowing down a fear gears only reduced to the speed of a regular tv drama so it was fine by me.

Great character work on this series. Probably Norman's one time fuck buddy Bradley was the only character who did'nt really grab me. The central pair of Norma and Norman are expertly written, mulit layered characters played well particularly by Vera Farmiga. It's the minor characters who really show the effort being put into this series though. So many good ones. Love Olivia Cooke as the girl Norman should be shagging and Nestor Carbonnell's scenes with Farmiga have been the highlight of the last few episodes. And how fucking creepy in a totally understated manner was his teacher?

The one thing I wish is that this didn't have Psycho hanging over the top of it. Knowing where Norman's heading strips the show of a bit of its mystery but I guess the final cliff hanger this week makes that point null and void anyway.

Pumped for season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Well that was a decent final epsidoe I guess. I got the impression watching this that the first 6 episodes were a lot more preplanned than what came afterwards. Almost like they were originally making a six episode series and then quickly had to come up with a new story for the last four. Still slowing down a fear gears only reduced to the speed of a regular tv drama so it was fine by me.

Great character work on this series. Probably Norman's one time fuck buddy Bradley was the only character who did'nt really grab me. The central pair of Norma and Norman are expertly written, mulit layered characters played well particularly by Vera Farmiga. It's the minor characters who really show the effort being put into this series though. So many good ones. Love Olivia Cooke as the girl Norman should be shagging and Nestor Carbonnell's scenes with Farmiga have been the highlight of the last few episodes. And how fucking creepy in a totally understated manner was his teacher?

The one thing I wish is that this didn't have Psycho hanging over the top of it. Knowing where Norman's heading strips the show of a bit of its mystery but I guess the final cliff hanger this week makes that point null and void anyway.
    Yeah, it would've been a little more mysterious if not for the PSYCHO connection because of the obviously crazy boyfriend that called her halfway through the show. That teacher was a little creepy, but man, I certainly wouldn't begrudge her for leaving the door open.

My problem with the series is that because of the connection to PSYCHO, I'm torn on liking the characters. Everytime they make Norma sympathetic, I think, well, we know she ends up dead, anyway. The writers have got to sorta tow the line set by the films...well, I think they do, anyway. Agreed that the supporting characters make the show for the most part. When the taxidermist showed up, I was like, "Is that bald John Lennon?" (Ian Hart). I didn't like when they had Norman do the rats in a maze speech...because it's set in more of an alternate universe, I like the idea that for the most part, I'm not reminded of Anthony Perkins, because nobody can top that guy.

I didn't think that the first season was anything revolutionary, but it was decent enough for me to be interested in Season 2. I hope that this last one was just a starting point and it gets stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    I got the impression watching this that the first 6 episodes were a lot more preplanned than what came afterwards. Almost like they were originally making a six episode series and then quickly had to come up with a new story for the last four.
    I will agree with this!!!

First 6 episodes went off like gangbusters....new characters .....people being killed...strange things going on...was great...then kinda slowed down so the plot wasnt really going in ten different ideas at once.....Kinda sad they couldnt keep up the pace set by those first 6 episodes....would have been a FANTASTIC series if they could!!!

Not seen the last episode yet......but I am not really that bothered about the shadow of PSYCHO hanging over it because it will be cool to see HOW they get there...

Also, I have a feeling they MIGHT pull the rug from under every one and take it in another direction...That would be cool!

Right...well, just seen the final episode of the first series......

Ties up a few loose ends....added a bit of story for a few of the characters and also gave a good indication about where series 2 is heading...

I hope they really make it ALL batshit crazy like the first 6 episodes of series one was.....If they can keep it up through all the series, it will be AMAZING

Season One comes out on Blu-ray 9/17/13.

"From the producers of Lost and Friday Night Lights comes the thrilling Bates Motel: Season One on Blu-ray and DVD. A modern day re-imagining of the classic film "Psycho," Bates Motel looks at Norman Bates' teenage years and just how deeply intricate his relationship with his mother, Norma, truly is and how she helped forge the most famous serial killer of them all. Starring Academy Award nominee Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air) and Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), watch every spine-tingling episode back-to-back and uninterrupted of the series critics are calling, "Moody, twisty, creepy and gloriously insane" (Los Angeles Times). "

No extras or cover art yet.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Name:  1002844_640088926003967_1334119180_n.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  46.5 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Blu-ray trailer!

Press release!

FROM THE PRODUCERS OF “LOST” AND “FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS” COMES

“Bates Motel”: Season One

AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 17, 2013 ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD EACH WITH DIGITAL INCLUDING ULTRAVIOLET™

FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

“…PUTS OTHER TELEVISION DRAMAS TO SHAME.” – HUFFINGTON POST

Universal City, California, June 27, 2013 – Academy Award® nominee Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air) and Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) star in “Bates Motel”: Season One, a contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film, Psycho. “Bates Motel”: Season One will be available to own on Blu-ray™ and DVD, each with Digital including Ultraviolet™ on September 17, 2013 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

From the producers of “Lost” and “Friday Night Lights” comes the “moody, twisty, creepy and gloriously insane” (Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times) “Bates Motel”: Season One. This re-imagining of one of Alfred Hitchcock’s beloved masterpieces weaves a web of deception, murder, and unexpected twists in a small town where nothing is what it seems.

“Bates Motel”: Season One also stars Nestor Carbonell (Lost), Max Thieriot (House at the End of the Street), Mike Vogel (Cloverfield), Nicola Peltz (The Last Airbender) and Olivia Cooke (Blackout). Filled with gruesome horrors, nail-biting suspense, and an eerie visual landscape ideal for Blu-ray™ Hi-Def, experience all 10 episodes back-to-back and uninterrupted of the hit series critics say is “impossible to look away” (Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times). The Blu-ray™ and DVD also include a set of collector cards featuring artwork from the show (“Jiao’s Sketchbook”) for a limited time only.

"Bates Motel" was A&E's most-watched original drama series debut in the network’s history. Be sure to watch more drama unfold with season two on A&E in 2014.

Blu-ray™ disc unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring perfect hi-def picture and hi-def sound. Digital including UltraViolet™ is a revolutionary new way for fans to collect their movies and TV shows in the cloud. UltraViolet™ lets consumers instantly stream and download to tablets, smartphones, computers and TVs.

EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURES (BLU-RAY™ and DVD):

· DELETED SCENES

· FEATURETTE: Paley Center Panel Discussion with the Cast and Creative Team

TECHNICAL INFORMATION – BLU-RAY™:

Street Date: September 17, 2013

Copyright: 2013 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.

Selection Number: 61127663

Running time: 7 Hours 46 Minutes

Layers: BD-50

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Widescreen

Rating: N/A

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH

Sound: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

TECHNICAL INFORMATION – DVD:

Street Date: September 17, 2013

Copyright: 2013 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.

Selection Number: 61126439

Running time: 7 Hours 46 Minutes

Layers: Dual Layer

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

Rating: N/A

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH

Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

So we're three episodes in and it's starting to get interesting. I have to say that I don't know how well it works as a prequel to the original Hitchcock movie though I'm not sure it's even trying, despite the fact that the series has made some interesting nods to what Norman Bates would grow into in that movie. Good cast, neat 'weird small town' atmosphere that kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks, and some interesting twists.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!