Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Return To The Class Of Nuke'Em High

I've heard things about Troma Sets that largely struck down my desire to PA on Return to Nuk'Em High.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

I'm amazed they actually released the Citizen Toxie doc, it shows just how much of a clusterfuck the production was. Made it look like Troma just hired whoever was willing to work for next to nothing so half the crew had no idea how to do their fucking jobs. Just astonishing. Made me appreciate just how professional all the sets I've worked on have been.

I think you nailed it. Unskilled labor is cheap labor and if they bitch you get new people because everyone wants to make a movie, right? Trouble comes along with that. I've been on organized sets and turbulent sets and shit always happen on any set. I was on a big budget tv show and before noon every day we were fucked schedule wise (the actors all had theatre gigs at night so they were always running late and were cranky because of it). Everything else went very smoothly on that shoot. Other small sets (music videos/short films) have been chaotic but everyone pulled together and soldiered on, despite pulling 17 hour days. It depends a lot on leadership.

Lloyd is clearly frustrated and a yeller. Personally I don't believe that helps anything at all. Instead you risk turning the crew against you. People working for free can only take x amount of abuse before they cave/explode/lash out. I've been shat on by asshole AD's and while I took it because we had shit to do I hated those guys all through the shoots. But Lloyd has chosen the cheapskate way and has to deal with it. I doubt he pays people a lot, if anything. I for one applaud them for releasing these documentaries since they're a fascinating peek at what making a movie involves.

On topic I think Return to Nuke 'Em High looks very interesting. But I'll wait until both have been released to Blu before watching them back to back.
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    I'm amazed they actually released the Citizen Toxie doc, it shows just how much of a clusterfuck the production was. Made it look like Troma just hired whoever was willing to work for next to nothing so half the crew had no idea how to do their fucking jobs. Just astonishing. Made me appreciate just how professional all the sets I've worked on have been.
    Troma is pretty open in that that is exactly what they do. In the books (which are great) Llyoyd states that when they are gearing up for production anyone writing in for a job is told "hey if you can make it to New York and don't mind sleeping on the floor you can make a film with us." Sounds like a fucking nightmare to me but I love that there's someone out there working this way. Also it is a great opportunity for those who brave it. Troma attrracts so many useless, incompetent layabouts that anyone with even the least amounts of smarts seems to rise through the ranks quickly.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Just halfway through the APOCALYPSE NOW doc on citizen tromie.....

REALLY good behind the scenes look at making a (cheap) movie.

While I applaud Troma's "LETS MAKE A MOVIE" ethos...It is clear from the very beginning of the doc that about HALF the cast and crew should never have been involved in ANY kind of movie related work....My fave so far being the girl who cannot understand why they have to take the old (white) script pages out and replace them with the new (pink) revised sheets.....Closely followed by the "gun technician"!!!

Its a fantastic doc and I am glad that Troma are brave enough to put it out there so people can see it.....Really surprised that Troma is able to finish ANY kind of movie at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by sukebanboy View Post

.It is clear from the very beginning of the doc that about HALF the cast and crew should never have been involved in ANY kind of movie related work....My fave so far being the girl who cannot understand why they have to take the old (white) script pages out and replace them with the new (pink) revised sheets.....:
    How good was she? I could only watch 15 minutes of this, it was too painful and I still have filmmakers post-traumatic stress syndrome. I can't imagine working with crew like that. You take for granted that your cast are a bunch of fuck ups sent from God to make your life hell but that's usually counter balanced by having an awesome crew around you to suffer through it with. With this lot I'd top myself within a week.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Lloyd's speech in Terror Firmer about Blowing His Fucking Brains Out is brilliant though.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Finished it!

There are LOADS of classic fuck up moments in his doc.....Seriously, my respect for TROMA has gone up immensely after seeing this as god only knows how they finish ANY movie at all!!!

On the other hand though...not sure ow much is staged and how much is real...but I doubt TROMA has any kind of decent enough actor to carry it off....so I guess the majority is true!
    Nice to see a bit with the original MELVYN from TOXIC AVENGER 1....

QUICK QUESTION"

Ian, did you see this doc?

I only ask because one of the best bits features a "stunt man" who does the lamest stunts ever...while boasting he is a professional (watch his stunt jump for a good example)...and he kind of reminds me of CRAZY GUY you work with..Can you ask him if it WAS him or not...coz he's EXACTLY how I imagine crazy guy to be!!!

Haha, yeah, I've seen it and it's not my co-worker, sorry.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Rock! Shock! Pop!