Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chan-wook Park's Stoker

Let's just say if you are expecting anything well plotted, interesting, violent or in any way making sense....then you will probably be disappointed....

First half is VERY slow.....characters pop in for a short scene..then gone. Kidman doesn't do much..The "twist" or "reveal" is poorly handled ...and not great at all,,,and the ending seems rushed....No where near the level of his other "good" movies..

Nothing is really explained well (The birthday gifts, the reasons for people acting in the way they do, the reason for the key etc)..and, while I like it when you have to use your imagination, the bits like these added nothing really to the story....

It IS well acted though...and the images/camerawork are of the usual standard...a few scenes are very well done (the basement light scene was good)..but the story is nothing we haven't seen before...and seen before done better.....Sub-par Hitchcock movie is the best way to sum it up....in fact I thought it was VERY similar to a couple of Hitchcocks movies...but he did it better....

Actually heard that it is not his final cut of the movie...and that 20 mins MAY have been snipped...but honestly cant see them improving the movie at all...

Found it similar to the execution of his short movie "CUT" in that anthology movie "Three" in that it wasn't really "premium" Park....and, while had a few good touches, was nothing new or original....

And why the hell call it STOKER...NOTHING supernatural or "Vampire" like in it at all!!

That's disappointing to read, I had high hopes for this.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Style over substance without a doubt.....but it DOES set a good mood and has some good images...just there is nothing here that we have not seen before....and when the ending is revealed I kind of went "Really?????"...thats the best they could come up with???..and quite a few elements in the plot had me scratching my head (the ONE supernatural event serves no purpose)...and the motivations / actions of the characters are not consistent or "realistic" even though they are portrayed as "real" people....

Still, I look forward to his next movie...but PLEASE get a decent script and a story that actually is ORIGINAL and presents us with something more entertaining...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I had high hopes for this.
    Well, I just saw it at the weekend and thought it was great. The whole thing plays out like a super-stylized adolescent fairytale. The sound design and visuals are amazing, performances excellent and there are some genuinely unnerving and creepy scenes.

Now you two have to fight!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

LOL...Stop stirring up trouble Mr Jane!!!

The sound design and visuals are amazing, performances excellent and there are some genuinely unnerving and creepy scenes.
    I did actually refer to these points as being the positive parts of the movie for me.....Unfortunately, the worse aspects FAR outweighed the good in this one....

In my opinion he fumbled the ball on this one.....but still retained his directorial power....story, twist, motivations and plotting let it down badly...

Sukebanboy, our opinions differ... so now, you must die.

It's rare for me to be excited by a film without being a big fan of the director first- I seem to be one of the few not impressed by Park's output so far- but I think this trailer looks phenomenal. I'm not sure when this gets released my way but I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Smith View Post
    Sukebanboy, our opinions differ... so now, you must die.
    You are correct...

There can be only one TRUE opinion in the world..

Say goodbye to your loved ones.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    It's rare for me to be excited by a film without being a big fan of the director first- I seem to be one of the few not impressed by Park's output so far- but I think this trailer looks phenomenal. I'm not sure when this gets released my way but I'm looking forward to it.
    I hope you are not referencing the TV spot with DJ Shadow's music..if you are, you should know that
    a) his music is not in the movie
    b) the movie's pace is nowhere near that kinetic
    c) some things in the trailer are edited to make them different than how they are in the movie...

As a director, you can maybe appreciate his camera tricks and their movements/set ups/manipulations more than I can....storywise it was less than expected...