Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Of The Living Dead (1990)

Night Of The Living Dead (1990)

By now some of you have probably heard that the transfer on the Twilight Time Blu-ray is different, it's got a noticable blue tint to it and is considerably darker. Noticed this last night as we were watching it. I don't mind that it's a bit darker, not sure the blue tint is necessary.

A (very low res) screencap comparison from this site:

Name:  NOTLD-BR-COMPARISON.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  61.3 KB

It's pretty obvious there how different it is. Detail is generally good, black levels decent (considering that it's dark) and texutre is good.

Everyone will have their own opinion on it obviously. Some caps from the Blu-ray....
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Click the caps to make them big!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Click the caps to make them big!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

That sure look bad, anyway my old DVD was more than enough for this film who isn't that great to begin with.

Even if it surely suck for those who paid the high Twilight Time pre-order price, I find it hard to not laugh at the EBay leeches who purchased multiple copies just to make a fast buck at the expense of the real fans of the film. Hope they will love their multiple unsaleable Blu-Rays

This kind of bums me out. The bright, warm colors of the remake gave it a stark contrast to the original, and also made the setting so picturesque I think it actually accentuated the horror.

Well, I can see how if you're really familiar with the previous color scheme the change might annoy. I hadn't seen the movie in 20 years since it first came out on VHS so didn't remember it as being different. Personally, I don't think anyone would be disappointed by the transfer unless they're comparing it o the earlier color scheme. As Ian noted, detail and shadow levels are both quite good...when I watched it last night, one of my favorite things about it was he "dusk"y look of the early scenes.

Previous color scheme? Earlier color scheme?

Apronikoff, there is only one correct color scheme and you'll find it in the theatrical prints and the original DVD.

Something went seriously wrong with the Blu-ray. It's too dark -- ridiculously dark -- and a blue tint has been imposed. A sharper image of a muddier murkey print with false color is not an upgrade. Density and color are simply wrong. This is amateur, like teaching a student how to use the color timer for the first time. Somebody didn't know what they were doing. It's actually as bad as VAMPIRE CIRCUS.

What a huge disappointment.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
    Previous color scheme? Earlier color scheme?

Apronikoff, there is only one correct color scheme and you'll find it in the theatrical prints and the original DVD.
    Richard, I didn't say anything about the blu-ray having the correct or incorrect color scheme. As I said, I hadn't seen the film in a long time so don't have any memory of what the "correct" look is. My point was, and is, that when seen in motion on a TV the transfer is attractive. Others may disagree, and that's fine.

If this is not how Savini wants the film to look, then yes I'd prefer to have a blu-ray that represents his desired look.

Anyway, here's that Twilight Time had to say on the matter:

Just a quick note to those folk disappointed with the Blu-ray transfer of Night of the Living Dead: Today is Sunday, and we won't be able to speak with any of the studio team until tomorrow. However, we are very limited in what we can do. If it is determined that the Blu-ray is exactly what was signed off by the filmmakers and / or, other involved personnel, then we will be sure this accurately reflects everyone's intentions. On the other hand, should it be discovered that some error occurred, somewhere between telecine and master, then that would be another matter. We will know the answer in a matter of days...in the meantime all we can do is have SAE refund consumers who want to return their discs...
    Apologies for any inconvenience.

Having watched it last night, I'll say in defense that it's very sharp, very detailed, and has good grain (not DNR'd). It has been desaturated, altering the color scheme significantly (corpses no longer have the yellow/green/pale/purple look to them as they were intended (or so Savini said in old interviews for the movie in magazines like Fangoria). There's more darkness, which is more realistic to me (which actually works in the movie's favor, honestly) -- but yes, much of the former details have been obscured by the darkness. I can tell what the technicians were going for, dimming the look of the movie to show it was turning from dusk to night at the beginning and keeping the old house darker due to the lack of bright lighting a house wouldn't actually have -- and it sort of works, if a bit heavy handed in execution. I think we're seeing the effects of popular, modern filmmaking and the influence of junk like THE WALKING DEAD. I do wonder if Savini approved of it, or if Sony ran with it. I can't imagine Grover Crisp actually oversaw this transfer and signed off on it himself (unless he worked with Savini or Romero on it) -- I'm thinking someone else was in charge of it. If I was not familiar with the movie, the disc's appearance wouldn't have bothered me at all. Knowing it originally was different definitely affects my feelings about it.
    Last edited by bgart13; 09-30-2012 at 02:06 PM.

I was tempted to preorder this, though, keeping in mind that I prefer the black and white 1968 version, to this film, I thought, I'd pass on it since it was $35. I was going to chance it appearing later on, after Twilight Time's contract is over, for less $. I recall paying $10 or less for the DVD of this movie, many years ago, so..

Anyway, I own one DVD (No blu-ray released), and 1 Blu-ray from Twilight Time. I have been happy with both. A bit pricier than some other companies, but, I knew what I was getting for the price, and I made a decision those two titles were worth the price. It's the same thought process I go through when it comes to Criterions stuff. and Lately, some of Shout!'s stuff.

This Blu-ray, if I bought it, I would have been very disappointed.

There is currently another twilight Time Blu-ray, due for release soon, that I am interested in, however, due to this incident with Night of the Living Dead, I am going to wait and nto preorder anything again until I see how this mess is handled first. Refunds are nice, but will they also be refunding also the shipping costs for shipping the item back to their place? I'd want to be refunded for that, also. Either that, or e-mail a pre-paid shipping label.

The way I NOW feel now about Twilight Time's upcoming DVDs and Blu-rays;

- If they offer full refunds, or an exchange program for a blu-ray that features the proper look of Night of the Living Dead. I won't mind pre-ordering from them again.

- If the refunds don't include an additional refund for my postage to return the defective product, and they stand by, "This is how it is, and how it is supposed to be" I won't ever preorder from them again. i will wait for a review online, so I can see what the picture quality is, and then decide whether or not to purchase.