Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

Aaaaand now I've got a boner so hard a cat couldn't scratch it.
    It's not going to suck itself...

Independence Day 2:Godzilla vs mechatransformers

I like Guillermo a lot. These previews do nothing for me. However, I DOOOOOO love eating a fuckload of buttery popcorn. I'll probably see it just to get fatter.

Saw it last night - exceeded my expectations. Is it brilliant? No but then it doesn't strive to be so. It's giant robots punching and ripping apart alien monsters. The film knows it and provides enough story to prop that up w/o getting boring or distracted. Very much fun.
    It's not going to suck itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Casey View Post
    I like Guillermo a lot. These previews do nothing for me. However, I DOOOOOO love eating a fuckload of buttery popcorn. I'll probably see it just to get fatter.
    Friends wanted to go Saturday. The 4:00 was sold out. We went and drank beers instead.

Re: Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

I liked that it had Alan Turing and Rick Moranis from Ghostbusters in it, but didn't like that it ended the same way as Independence Day and The Avengers and Star Wars and Jaws and every other movie. Ron Perlman seemed to be playing Bruce Campbell.

Saw this last night and liked it well enough, maybe a couple minor gripes. It's a shade over 2 hours but never dragged; for the most part the cast were fine, the little girl during the flashback got on my nerves a little and Ron Perlman was totally out of place in this, seemed like he was in another movie, one with giant monsters and pimps. It gets a little hard to see everything during the battles - super fast editing strikes again - but this didn't happen often. I wished there had been more effort to distinguish the monsters, make a couple of them more imposing. Ending wasn't original, no, but there wasn't much else they could have done there after the story got to that point. This is one that I think really needs to be seen on as large a screen as possible.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Shit, that was quick. Amazon's got a listing up already.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

After seeing this in IMAX 3D I don't think I'll bother with home video. Like Andrew said, this is a big screen experience with so many of the battle sequences shot from angles that are meant to put the viewer right in the action that home viewing wouldn't be as enjoyable. The story and characters aren't enough to make me want to revisit this movie again, and as Baz pointed out, it ends up as another in a long line of "Let's send a rag tag team to fight the good fight while the rest of us watch on monitors and cheer when they win" movies. You know, those movies Baz listed, minus JAWS.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

I agree, I don't think I'll be watching this one at home. Besides the fact that it'll be way lessened by a smaller screen, once was enough for me for this. I don't doubt that Del Toro's heart was in the right place but this wasn't nearly as much fun as the films it homages.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.