Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Femmes de Sade

Femmes de Sade

Yeah I already reviewed this and yeah it gets brought up in the Alpha France thread but having revisited it yesterday I figured it really does need its own thread. As corny and goofy as it is in spots, de Renzy did some interesting stuff with this. First off, we get the casting of Ken Turner - not even remotely attractive, he's an unlikely choice to star in an adult movie but I guess his size and ability to blow himself gives him enough of a freak show factor (something de Renzy did not shy away from) to make it work. He's simultaneously hilarious and horrifying. John Leslie is awesome here, hysterical with his 'Chinese guy' make up in the Asian scene and dapper in his leisure suit. Some great female stars, an appearance from Joey Silvera - the cast is solid.

It's the editing though that really struck me. We see enough to know that this is very much a hardcore film but the camera knows better than to linger too long on certain things. It's not cut fast, but it's cut well. The scene in the engine room that takes place, the four way, it doesn't have any music but instead the rythm of the machinery takes over, which is an interesting touch. Of course, taboos are smashed - there are dogs and poop and rape and some BDSM among other things. So it's interesting for that reason too.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    ...there are dogs and poop and rape and some BDSM among other things...
    Is that from your review, in its entirety?
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Yeah, that's more or less it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I like this movie. It's fun. That's my review.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

I think this film does look really great and you're right about the editing not lingering over the sex, something I hadn't thought of before and probably why the film's plot seems to barrel ahead from one set piece to the next and so be one of the most effective features of the era. The engine room scene is a classic I think. I remember rewatching this when I got the Alpha France disc and thinking that I picked up a theme about the difference between fantasy and reality and how the Ken Turner character is contrasted with the Leslie character in this regard, but I may have just been drunk.
    Last edited by Randy G; 01-13-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Drunk or not, I think you're maybe onto something there. The movie does play with the contrast between Leslie's character and Turner's character.

It also has awesome poster art.

Name:  femmes_de_sade_poster_01.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  89.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Have you read Candida Royalle's story about shooting the last scene in Femmes De Sade in Golden Goddesses? Love to hear those BTS details.

I have, yeah. Crazy stuff. We need more books like that.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I think the Leslie fantasy angle is neat. It's even better when it's an innocent character, but it works with his already deviant character as well.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

So this played theatrically in our neighborhood according to this neat old picture. RAD.

Name:  18194791_10213326982237498_5334228804032713194_n.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  75.2 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!