Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Bad Religion - True North 1/22/13

Oh, and The Voracious March of Godliness. I love that tune.

New album is up on Spotify if you want to legally try before you buy.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Thanks for the heads up. I did buy a copy through Craig's distributor, cause it was fancy and cheap

Listened to it on the way to and from my conference this weekend. A couple of good songs, a few mediocre ones, and some outright garbage on this new one. Definitely not the album that True North was, not even close. Lose Your Head is a terrible song, and the lyrics are horrid. The Candidate is another stinker. I've already commented on Do The Paranoid Style. I didn't expect much from Bad Religion this time around, given what's come out for advance tracks, and they sure didn't disappoint in not giving me much.

It's really a damn shame they lost Brooks Wackerman as well. The completely different approach to the drums as far as playing and production was very noticeable, and not in a good way.

Agreed. The harmonies are still pretty rad though.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

They are.

So after hearing the album, I think it breaks down pretty simply. The good songs are really good, the ones that aren't so hot are just sort of there, in one ear and out the other. Thankfully there aren't that many of the later and by and large, this is BR doing what they know how to do. They still know how to get a tune hooked into your brain for hours on end. "Candidate" is actually one of my favorites, and I've been singing "Chaos from Within" all day.

The lyrics are nowhere near as putrid as "The Kids are Alt-Right" though there's one particular line in "End of History" that made me fucking groan. Other than that, Graffin's still one of the sharpest wordsmiths in not just punk, but music in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    So after hearing the album, I think it breaks down pretty simply. The good songs are really good, the ones that aren't so hot are just sort of there, in one ear and out the other. Thankfully there aren't that many of the later and by and large, this is BR doing what they know how to do. They still know how to get a tune hooked into your brain for hours on end. "Candidate" is actually one of my favorites, and I've been singing "Chaos from Within" all day.

The lyrics are nowhere near as putrid as "The Kids are Alt-Right" though there's one particular line in "End of History" that made me fucking groan. Other than that, Graffin's still one of the sharpest wordsmiths in not just punk, but music in general.
    That's a somewhat fair assessment, though I didn't enjoy The Candidate, and would argue that Lose Your Head is about as lyrically stunning as I Love My Computer.

At the end of the day, when I want to listen to Bad Religion, I don't want to put on the stuff where they're going through the numbers, or pumping out generic repeats of their old songs. Too many great albums in their discography for me to bother with the mediocre. I'll give this one another couple of listens, but am assuming it will be filed in the same pile as The Dissent of Man.

Tour dates.

Name:  br1.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  78.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Also.... WTF?

Name:  br2.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  20.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!