Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 251 to 257 of 257

Thread: Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

  1. #251
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,634
    Anyone order Cinestrange's The Iron Commissioner?

  2. #252
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,634
    Cinestrange's The Iron Commissioner unfortunately does "look like shit". I'll gladly pay $40 for Euro-crime films even with mediocre to bad presentations but this one has a bigger flaw then fake grain, no color correction or DNR. Please excuse my not knowing the technical terms but there is "jitter" whenever there is swift movements onscreen. It doesn't look like the jaggy "combing" I'm used to seeing in PAL-to-NTSC DVDs. It's more like missing frames. Its not obvious when pausing and stepping through so it won't show in screenshots. It does seem to subside the longer the film plays. My Oppo shows "50i" so wonder if that is the problem. Another issue is DNR. It wasn't so bad that it would have bothered me but likely would have drove some batshit.

    If another release comes down the line I won't be upgrading unless it has the English dub. It seems like a decent Merli flick but I couldn't get past his voice. Whoever dubs Merli sounds incredibly weak/inappropriate for the bitch-slapping mustachio'd commissioner that doesn't play by the rules. Just not manly enough. That said, the Italian track sounds very good. The German track sounds like garbage.

    It is a damn fine looking mediabook so at least it looks good on the shelf.

    It has trailers for American Rickshaw which looks freaking fantastic. I must see this film. Here's hoping it gets a competent release as Cinestrange's clearly isn't.

  3. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason C View Post
    Cinestrange's The Iron Commissioner unfortunately does "look like shit". I'll gladly pay $40 for Euro-crime films even with mediocre to bad presentations but this one has a bigger flaw then fake grain, no color correction or DNR. Please excuse my not knowing the technical terms but there is "jitter" whenever there is swift movements onscreen. It doesn't look like the jaggy "combing" I'm used to seeing in PAL-to-NTSC DVDs. It's more like missing frames. Its not obvious when pausing and stepping through so it won't show in screenshots. It does seem to subside the longer the film plays. My Oppo shows "50i" so wonder if that is the problem. Another issue is DNR. It wasn't so bad that it would have bothered me but likely would have drove some batshit.

    If another release comes down the line I won't be upgrading unless it has the English dub. It seems like a decent Merli flick but I couldn't get past his voice. Whoever dubs Merli sounds incredibly weak/inappropriate for the bitch-slapping mustachio'd commissioner that doesn't play by the rules. Just not manly enough. That said, the Italian track sounds very good. The German track sounds like garbage.

    It is a damn fine looking mediabook so at least it looks good on the shelf.

    It has trailers for American Rickshaw which looks freaking fantastic. I must see this film. Here's hoping it gets a competent release as Cinestrange's clearly isn't.
    Cheers for taking one for the team Jason. I won't be wasting my money on that. I wish these Italian Policier's would get more respect on physical media. I've really got into them over the past year or so. I watched the Blue Underground disc of Revolver (aka, Blood in the Streets) recently and thought it was great. A lot more sober-minded than I expected, with the question of personal versus professional loyalties at the heart of the film. A pity big Ollie was dubbed by someone else though. His voice was always an intrinsic part of his performance. Great soundtrack and location photography compensate! It would be nice to see this one in HD sooner, rather than later!

  4. #254
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason C View Post
    Cinestrange's The Iron Commissioner unfortunately does "look like shit". I'll gladly pay $40 for Euro-crime films even with mediocre to bad presentations but this one has a bigger flaw then fake grain, no color correction or DNR. Please excuse my not knowing the technical terms but there is "jitter" whenever there is swift movements onscreen. It doesn't look like the jaggy "combing" I'm used to seeing in PAL-to-NTSC DVDs. It's more like missing frames. Its not obvious when pausing and stepping through so it won't show in screenshots. It does seem to subside the longer the film plays. My Oppo shows "50i" so wonder if that is the problem. Another issue is DNR. It wasn't so bad that it would have bothered me but likely would have drove some batshit.

    If another release comes down the line I won't be upgrading unless it has the English dub. It seems like a decent Merli flick but I couldn't get past his voice. Whoever dubs Merli sounds incredibly weak/inappropriate for the bitch-slapping mustachio'd commissioner that doesn't play by the rules. Just not manly enough. That said, the Italian track sounds very good. The German track sounds like garbage.

    It is a damn fine looking mediabook so at least it looks good on the shelf.

    It has trailers for American Rickshaw which looks freaking fantastic. I must see this film. Here's hoping it gets a competent release as Cinestrange's clearly isn't.
    I found that I can enable a setting called "MotionFlow" (its a Sony TV) that will resolve the jitter in PAL and 50i discs.

  5. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Deltoid View Post
    Cheers for taking one for the team Jason. I won't be wasting my money on that. I wish these Italian Policier's would get more respect on physical media. I've really got into them over the past year or so. I watched the Blue Underground disc of Revolver (aka, Blood in the Streets) recently and thought it was great. A lot more sober-minded than I expected, with the question of personal versus professional loyalties at the heart of the film. A pity big Ollie was dubbed by someone else though. His voice was always an intrinsic part of his performance. Great soundtrack and location photography compensate! It would be nice to see this one in HD sooner, rather than later!
    You did yourself a favor with Revolver, it's absolutely one of the best. Find some Umberto Lenzi/Tomas Milian ones and you're in for a great ride.
    "Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

  6. #256
    Scholar of Sleaze Paul L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The clinic of the mysterious Dr Orlof
    Posts
    4,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Deltoid View Post
    I watched the Blue Underground disc of Revolver (aka, Blood in the Streets) recently and thought it was great. A lot more sober-minded than I expected, with the question of personal versus professional loyalties at the heart of the film. A pity big Ollie was dubbed by someone else though. His voice was always an intrinsic part of his performance.
    I'm pretty certain that is Oliver Reed's voice but the American accent is a slight distraction.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

  7. #257
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I'm pretty certain that is Oliver Reed's voice but the American accent is a slight distraction.
    Hmmm. It's been a few months since I saw it now, but I'd wager a Jammie Dodger that Reed's voice was dubbed by someone other than himself, though I could be wrong on that front. That distinctive Reedian timbre seemed to be missing.

Similar Threads

  1. Favourite Euro porn features
    By Lalala76 in forum Exploitation And Smut
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2018, 11:52 PM
  2. Best Source for DVRs of Euro cult?
    By Dark Horse 77 in forum Euro Cult
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-30-2016, 08:47 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 12:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •