Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Andy Sidaris Thread

The Andy Sidaris Thread

So last night I cracked open the Mill Creek 12 pack of Andy Sidaris movies and gave Do Or Die a watch. I'd seen plenty of Andy's movies before but not this particular one. Regardless, you kind of know what you're getting into with his movies. I was also drinking while I was watching it... by myself. At any rate, some random observations about Do Or Die that I plunked out on Facebook while I was watching it:

SPOILERS:

-Computer technology in the films of the late, great Andy Sidaris can offer a stunning glimpse into the future. Also, boobs and explosions and copious amounts of Erik Estrada.

-Whoever did the wardrobe in Do Or Die deserves an Oscar. Musical number? Oh yeah! Pat Morita? Damn! Helicopters. A cane that is a rocket launcher. 80s lingerie is great but terrible. Alison is sleeping through this. Her loss, more wine for me.

-Worst Cajun accents ever.

-Pat Morita is rigging the American stock market. He is also skilled in the art of erotic massage. Hear that, ladies?

-There is a lot of Michelob in this movie.

-The Harley turned motorboat in Snake Eater was better than any boat in this movie. Pat Morita just made a boner joke.

-The films of Hitchcock, Welles, Chabrol, Kurosawa, Scorsese, Fellini and many others sit from me a mere three feet from where I lay, and yet I choose Sidaris. Why? Gratuitous nudity, whiskey, explosions.... Bad fashions. Hot tubs. Girls in hot tubs. But mostly because Do Or Die provides the rare opportunity to see Estrada dressed in yellow and brown demonstrating his juggling skills.

-Dirt bikes! My mom did not want me to have a dirt bike as a kid and this movie makes a good case for that. It is all too easy to drive through a window on one and then wind up in a fight with Erik Estrada. Hint... Estrada wins. Every single time. Should have thrown him a slider, hahaha.

-Pat Morita: "Silk. Tea. Bedroom." Chick who goes to Pat Morita's bedroom: "He does his best thinking there."

-Too much denim. Horrible, horrible boob job, but acid washed jeans tucked into Payless brand cowboy boots? Ohhhhh yeah.

-But oh my goodness... Assassins on jet skis! Dude just shot a duck for no reason!

-Estrada: "we've got to get out of here... This location is just too hot." Then he puts on an orange turtleneck and gets his gun.

-"I'm not about to sit in the corner like a good little girl while you try to tell me what hat to wear." Take that, sexist dude!

-Pat Morita proposes one to one hand to hand combat.

-You're either in, or you're in the way. Way to rip off Duke Mitchell....

-Erik Estrada is making love... In a hot tub. Amazing. We could all learn from this. So tender... So giving... Oooo.... Under water.

-Dirt Bikes! Ninjas!

-Ninja: 'I don't know you... Who are you?' Chick: 'I'm Batman.' WHAT?

-Estrada has a purple shirt... Taking out ninjas with a rocket firing remote control helicopter!

-Pat Morita is pissed off, he's grunting.

-The microchip has been put inside the big purple crystal and given to Pat Morita... She tells him it will protect his soul.

-Estrada has a polka dot tie. Suave.

-"I can't get over it, I shot a duck."

-The end. Ha, that makes no sense. The soundtrack for the end credits reminds me of Cotton Eye Joe.

Name:  do2.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  do1.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  47.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Over the past 2 years I've made it through the first 9 of Sidaris' films, including STACEY and SEVEN. These films are right up my ally. It doesn't get any better than Playboy Playmates in leading roles, riduclous action like razor blade frisbees, rocket launching RC helicopters and Erik Estrada collecting a paycheck.

All of them kinda blend together but DO OR DIE is one the best so far. Not only does it have the requsite nudity and insanity, but it feels tighter than most of the Sidaris films that came before it. The previous films have to much filler that bog them down a bit. There are just too many scenes of charcters walking to and from a plane/car/building. And too many scenes of characters just riding around in a boat/car/plane. I wish a competent editor would get their hands on MALIBU EXPRESS and take that near 2 hour epic and turn into a thrilling 80 minutes and Boobs, Bombs, and Blood.

Yeah, a lot of his stuff is padded. It's been a few years since I spent any time with any of his movies but I'm pretty sure a minor phase is coming on. I hope to watch a few more this weekend. Do Or Die completely ruled.

I've always had a soft spot for Enemy Gold as well, even though Drew Sidaris directed it.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I became a fan of the Sidaris films after seeing Picasso Trigger and Guns late at night on Showtime in the mid 90s. Had no idea it was a series of films,until in the late 90s I found most of them for rent at Hastings. Rented them all and loved them. Bought most of the BCI versions of the films and also got the Mill Creek boxed set. They are all great "Hey it's Friday night we got lots of beer/smoke and want to watch something that doesn't require thinking." films.

Agreed! I lost my DO OR DIE cherry about 2 months ago, and was pretty amazed. Up until then, all my fave Sidaris were the really early ones, but that one really entertains.

The more I watch them, the more I like them. I'll watch some of the later ones in the Mill Creek set soon, I think.

Jason is totally correct that 90% of his movies would be better if they were 20 min shorter, though. He loves shooting scenery and pointless driving scenes a lot. But you kind of get used to it once you've seen a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Bougie View Post
    Jason is totally correct that 90% of his movies would be better if they were 20 min shorter, though. He loves shooting scenery and pointless driving scenes a lot. But you kind of get used to it once you've seen a bunch.
    Yeah, he is right, but for some reason in certain trashy movies I find pointless driving scenes kind of endearing. Maybe that explains, at least partially, my love of Rock N Roll Nightmare. In Sidaris' case though, I think as you say it's the scenery - "Hey, we're shooting this movie in Hawaii, and Hawaii is awesome so let's make sure everyone who watches this movie knows that we shot it in Hawaii by shooting as much of it as we can."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason C View Post
    Over the past 2 years I've made it through the first 9 of Sidaris' films, including STACEY and SEVEN.
    Has Stacey been released on DVD anywhere? That one still eludes me, and I haven't even really seen any boots of it anywhere.

Oh man, thanks for devoting a thread to the man I hold responsible for my love of exploitation cinema. I might bring a few of you GTA folks back a few years with mention of the Eaton Center cinema, but it was here that I was introduced to Andy with Hard Ticket To Hawaii when it played for a short weekend back in late 1987 (it was cold I remember that much. maybe early 88). Theater jumping was a way of life back then, as was watching "blue movies" on City TV or channel 4( Italian soft core flicks..can't remember the name) or Superchannel, hell even carousing a adult into renting a R rated film(sex film) because the teller actually wouldn't rent them to kids. So here was I and 2 friends jumping theaters when we catch the cockpit change scene...completely stunned with the ample nudity on display & the lack of folks in the theater, we proceed to sit down & take in the events that changed our mostly virgin eyes. Sure we'd seen nudity in films like Revenge Of The Nerds, Porky's hell even a few of the older brothers had uncut VHS dupes of hardcore films from the U.S. (Devil In Miss Jones...etc) but it was here in the theater where it felt most risky, it was a game changer so to speak. It would be quite a few years of us bragging about this film to others, as if it was a collective fable of sorts before it made it's way to VHS where it's true awesomeness could be told. EVERYONE HATED this film except us, but as flawed as this film may be it left a indelible mark on our brains so much so any mention of Sidaris was/IS (till this day I might add) met with gleeful eyes.

Chris, that's awesome. I don't remember seeing any Sidaris stuff come through the theaters of Niagara Falls growing up - cool that they did play in Toronto though.

And Scyther, no, to the best of my knowledge Stacey has not been officially released on DVD. But it has been bootlegged. There's a torrent around too. Both are likely taken from the same fullframe VHS source.

Name:  stacey_dvd_cover.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  94.5 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Watched Malibu Express last night. I had seen it before but not in a long time. It's fun. Dopey, but fun. Cool to see Sybil Danning show up in the movie and all the requisite topless ladies are there. A couple of funny moments, a couple of really corny moments, and a lot of in between. I think I like Sidaris' stuff better when it's played slightly more seriously.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!