Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Kubrick's The Shining

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining

This has been making the rounds on Facebook, figured some here might find this interesting:

http://www.theoverlookhotel.com/

"Screenplay for the deleted original ending of The Shining. When the film was first released, a hospital epilogue was located between the shot of Jack frozen in the snow and the long dolly shot through the lobby that ends on the July 4, 1921 framed photo.

Kubrick decided to remove the scene very shortly after the U.S. opening, dispatching assistants to excise the scene from the dozens of prints showing in Los Angeles and New York City. All known copies of the scene were reportedly destroyed, although it is rumored that one surviving copy may exist."

More at the link. This is interesting enough that it's worth your time if you're a fan of the movie.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Fascinating site. I am one those who is obsessed with this movie. There was quite a few other scenes that were cut before the premiere (jack finding the scrapbook in the boiler room, etc.) which I would love to see. Kubrick seems to have been very thorough about destroying that material, unfortunately (unless he stashed it somewhere himself). The hospital epilogue was actually in the first batch of prints though. Some of the other footage must have survived at least temporarily because there is TV spot (UK) which utilizes alternate takes of scenes in the movie (apparently it was easier and cheaper to do this for the TV Spot). Curious. The film opened in the UK after it played in the US.

I dunno, the movie feels perfect the way it is, the cut stuff sounds like it didn't fit with the rest of the flick. I like that it doesn't explain much.

I liked that we don't see what happens to Danny and his mother, I remember reading the book and being disappointed by the conventionally happy ending compared to the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    I liked that we don't see what happens to Danny and his mother, I remember reading the book and being disappointed by the conventionally happy ending compared to the film.
    I agree....Sometimes they spoil what has come before by not knowing when to finish the story....

This is one of my favourite films, and that is a great site. :-D Love it.

I'm sure that everyone here has seen this, but if you haven't......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkVWuP_sO0

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I dunno, the movie feels perfect the way it is, the cut stuff sounds like it didn't fit with the rest of the flick. I like that it doesn't explain much.
    Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I just like to see all the pieces if they are available. When I see them, it usually makes perfect sense why they were taken out. Explaining everything (especially supernatural or mysterious forces) removes all the excitement.

Have you seen the shorter (UK) version? I really think the US cut is definitive (and spookier). The pacing in the UK cut is faster and brings out a little bit more comedy for some reason. It is available on this dvd:
    Last edited by paul h.; 02-05-2013 at 11:01 AM.

oh, and here is the UK TV Spot made up of 'alternate take' material.

Quote Originally Posted by paul h. View Post

Have you seen the shorter (UK) version? I really think the US cut is definitive (and spookier). The pacing in the UK cut is faster and brings out a little bit more comedy for some reason. It is available on this dvd:
    I haven't seen the shorter cut but I read about it, sounds interesting. LOL@ "Gruesome Twosome"!

The British edit is cut too tight. While it is true that doctors no longer made house calls in the USA by 1980, the scene in which the lady doctor and the mom discuss Danny's imaginary friend is important. It provides backstory and character motivation. Evidently Kubrick preferred to communicate this by inference. Cutting it quickens the pace but impairs character. I'm holding onto the region 2 DVD as a curiosity.

Would love to see those excised scenes. Now that Kubrick's estate has allowed his early documentary shorts and FEAR AND DESIRE to be released perhaps an extended cut of THE SHINING isn't too much too hope for.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.