Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Kubrick's The Shining

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Well, I guess in this case it boils down to what the viewer brings to it, right?
    Yes, personally, I think Kubrick's film is more multifaceted (ie, there's more than one way into it, and more than one way to understand it), whereas King's novel is a much more linear experience in which the reader/audience is directed by King's very detailed prose into allying themselves with King's intentions/interpretation of the story. That's not to say one is inherently better than the other, but the ambiguities of Kubrick's film makes it a more interesting experience for me.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Yes, personally, I think Kubrick's film is more multifaceted (ie, there's more than one way into it, and more than one way to understand it), whereas King's novel is a much more linear experience in which the reader/audience is directed by King's very detailed prose into allying themselves with King's intentions/interpretation of the story. That's not to say one is inherently better than the other, but the ambiguities of Kubrick's film makes it a more interesting experience for me.

I think you could say that about any Kubrick picture. The man was an absolute genius and you could look at his films in so many different ways.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

4k release coming to Europe, I'm sure a US release will follow.

https://afdigitale.it/shining-ottobre-ultra-hd-blu-ray/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    It might have something to do with the fact that I saw the film (in the mid-80s, at the age of 10 or thereabouts) a long time before I read the novel (at the age of 13/14, I'd say), but I really feel that Kubrick's film taps into something about the family that, for me at least, is more primal and relatable than the supernatural shenanigans of King's source novel.
    Indeed. There's a couple moments in here where Jack's relating to Danny that I find very uncomfortably relateable to this day. And I like that Jack is flawed from the start. If the character is a grade A human to start with then it's just the story of an evil house. If, as it is, he's flawed from the beginning it's more the story of a malfunctioning family. I've always figured that it's suppossed to be the flaws in Jack that make him susceptible to the houses influence. A good man would have just sailed through the winter. His thrawted ambition is there for the house to twist into something even more horrible than it already was.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

The scene where Danny gets a toy from his room and sees Jack just sitting up and starring into the void is genius and brilliantly uncomfortable. Also relatable.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    4k release coming to Europe, I'm sure a US release will follow.

https://afdigitale.it/shining-ottobre-ultra-hd-blu-ray/
    Did you tell ne 4K is region free?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Did you tell ne 4K is region free?
    4K discs are indeed region-free.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    The scene where Danny gets a toy from his room and sees Jack just sitting up and starring into the void is genius and brilliantly uncomfortable. Also relatable.
    Yup, that's the one for me too. I love it, it's a great scene, it's also the reason I've seen The Shining significantly less than a lot of other Kubrick films.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

The 4k restoration is playing at Cannes soon.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/ca...ng-1202128389/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I know people go on about only major studio titles getting 4K releases, and that's a very valid complaint, but I'm loving that Kubrick films are major studio titles.