Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Room 237 - Documentary On Kubrick's The Shining

Room 237 - Documentary On Kubrick's The Shining

This trailer has been making the rounds today:

Synopsis by way of Horror-Movies.ca:

Synopsis: “After the box office failure of Barry Lyndon, Stanley Kubrick decided to embark on a project that might have more commercial appeal. The Shining, Stephen King’s biggest critical and commercial success yet, seemed like a perfect vehicle. After an arduous production, Kubrick’s film received a wide release in the summer of 1980; the reviews were mixed, but the box office, after a slow start, eventually picked up. End of story? Hardly. In the 30 years since the film’s release, a considerable cult of Shining devotees has emerged, fans who claim to have decoded the film’s secret messages addressing everything from the genocide of Native Americans to a range of government conspiracies. Rodney Ascher’s wry and provocative Room 237 fuses fact and fiction through interviews with cultists and scholars, creating a kaleidoscopic deconstruction of Kubrick’s still-controversial classic.”

Name:  Room-237.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  84.4 KB

More info at the film's website here.

This has the potential to be seriously fascinating stuff.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Just watched The Shining today, on account of being snowed in, and the docs on the blu-ray are awesome...I'd love to see more on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    seriously fascinating stuff
    Laying down a RSP pull quote for the video release, eh?

I will check this out fo' sho'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Just watched The Shining today... the docs on the blu-ray are awesome...
    Yeah they are. And I really dig the movie his daughter made during the shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jordan View Post
    Yeah they are. And I really dig the movie his daughter made during the shoot.
    Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
    Laying down a RSP pull quote for the video release, eh?
    Well generally I'd want to see the movie before doing that, but sure, if they want to quote me they can.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The flaws and frustrating points in this documentary are sooooooo abundant, I can not even possibly begin to pick it apart. Material-wise, it's a cluttered, amateur mess. Mechanically, it's a cluttered, amateur mess.

Very disappointing, I was really hoping to love this.

Well, fudge. I will still check it out. But will go in with my expectations lowered accordingly.

The reviews are pretty solid on it. And to be fair, some of the things that were pointed out in the movie were interesting. But the theories, the people they used to present them, and the evidence....bad. The presentation was also lacking. At one point, this guy is talking, voice-over, and you can hear this noise in the background. He says, "Can you hear that? Oh...that's my son crying. Give me a minute" or something like that and then goes to get his kid. I'm a big fan of the scene in Dogtown and Z-Boys where they left Sean Penn coughing during the narration intact, but this is a little extreme.

To compare the theories to something, I once, on another site, wrote up a huge piece on how the Shining was Kubrick's comment on how hotel service was getting worse and worse. It was a number of paragraphs, and I wrote it largely off the top of my head in about 10 minutes. I used a number of examples from the film to support this stupid theory. IMO, my piece is substantially more believable and supported by examples from the film than some of the parallels discussed in Room 237. Doesn't help that it was very boring.

I was disappointed, too. I did appreciate the soundtrack and the abundance of clips from Demons and Demons 2 (showing people watching the movie on a theater screen or on a TV), but other than that I found this documentary rather dull and frustrating. I'm not sure how I made it all the way through. I guess I kind of went into a trance, hypnotized by the stupidity of the commentators. They have spent waaaaay too much time thinking about this movie to come up with conspiracy theories that just make you say, "WHAT?!" The most frustrating thing about Room 237 is that you are unable to take these people by the shoulders and shake them.