Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Redemption Announces 14 NEW Franco Titles For Blu-ray in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
    I thought it was understood Franco had a hand in Orloff and the Invisible Man.
    Well, he's not listed as a director on IMDb. Pierre Chevalier has a number of credits to his name (and other names as well) so it doesn't seem to be a pseudonym of Franco. I think Eurocine was just using the Orloff name without Franco's input.

Here's the official press release straight from Kino's site:

--------------

New York, NY - May 17, 2013 - Kino Lorber and Redemption Films celebrate the cinematic legacy of director Jess Franco with deluxe Blu-ray and DVD editions of three of his most important films, presented in association with Eurocine: The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962), A Virgin Among the Living Dead (1973) and Nightmares Come at Night (1970). Though highly regarded among cult movie enthusiasts, Franco is a notorious figure within the world of horror, for the savage eroticism and obsessive nature of his films, which defy the conventional structure and tone of the typical thriller. "Too arty for the horror crowd and too macabre and lowbrow for the art crowd," Fangoria editor Chris Alexander wrote, "He existed in a world of his own, a class of his own."

Born Jesus Franco Manera in 1930, credited on a variety of pseudonyms (such as Clifford Brown and A.M. Frank), he is best known as Jess Franco, director of such horror/sexploitation films as Female Vampire (1973), Exorcism (1975), and Vampyros Lesbos (1971). Franco directed almost 200 features, in virtually every genre, and was perhaps at his best when working with his muses, Soldedad Miranda (1943-1970) and Lina Romay (1954-2012). Because he made so many films, which were released in multiple versions and under various titles, and because he so frequently employed a pseudonym, a complete Franco filmography is likely impossible to compile. Franco died Tuesday April 2, 2013, at the age of 82, after being hospitalized for a stroke on March 27.

"Franco was, and is, a true hero of exploitation cinema. A man who loved, ate and slept film," recalls Redemption founder Nigel Wingrove, "and who in his heart was an artist and like most artists he had his flaws and weaknesses but ultimately what made him an artist was that he could do nothing else but make films. He may have used a camera rather than a paintbrush and film instead of a canvas, but that was because film was his blood, and he only stopped filming when his blood stopped flowing and his heart, like his camera, finally stopped."

In August, 2013, Redemption will commemorate Franco with a special Blu-ray edition of his breakthrough film, The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962), featuring "The Horror of Orlof," one of the last videotaped interviews with Franco (directed by David Gregory and produced by Elijah Drenner). Newly mastered in HD, this is the original French-language version (the film was later censored and padded with inconsequential footage for release in Spain). Among other features, the disc will include a brand new commentary track by Tim Lucas (founder and editor of Video Watchdog), as well as a newly-filmed remembrances by Franco's friends and collaborators (directed by Daniel Gouyette).

Lesser-known in the director's canon (because for more than 40 years it was considered a lost film), Nightmares Come at Night is an erotic thriller starring Soledad Miranda and Diana Lorys. In the years since its rediscovery, Nightmares has become embraced as quintessential Franco for its facile blending of horror, eroticism, and the surreal. The disc will feature a Lucas commentary, and a second memorial video by Gouyette, and a third mini-documentary to be announced.

The piece de resistance of the collection is A Virgin Among the Living Dead, which features Franco's original cut in its entirety (Christina, Princess of Eroticism), as well as the more commonly-available recut version (with zombie footage directed by Jean Rollin: A Virgin Among the Living Dead), as well as a deleted orgy scene, featuring Alice Arno, which was shot for a third incarnation of the film. The disc also includes "Mysterious Dreams," one of the last videotaped interviews with Franco (directed by Gregory and produced by Drenner), as well as a third collection of posthumous tributes by the director's friends and collaborators.

All three films were newly-mastered in HD from archival film elements from Eurocine Paris, are presented in French with optional English subtitles or English dubbed, produced for video by Bret Wood.

In 2014, Redemption will continue to pay its respects to Franco with at least three additional Blu-rays of his notorious films.

As Tim Lucas recently wrote in a memorial piece, "Jess Franco is finished with life, but life is far from finished with him."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

we should expect:

1962 The Sadistic Baron Von Klaus
    1964 Dr. Orloff's Monster
    1970 Orloff and the Invisible Man
    1970 She Killed In Ecstasy
    1971 The Devil Came From Akasava
    1971 Vampyros Lesbos
    1971 X-312 Flight to Hell
    1972 Dracula Prisoner of Frankenstein
    1972 The (Erotic, maybe) Rites of Frankenstein
    1974 Devil's Island Lovers
    1976 Night of the Skulls
    1982 Revenge In the House of Usher
    This is the first I've heard that most of these titles are being released. Not saying they aren't, but do you have a reference for this?

As far as I know, Franco had nothing to do with ORLOFF/INVISIBLE MAN

They denied V.L. when asked a few months ago. Has something changed? Also, I don't think twice a year seems appropriate since they've a good many this year alone. I doubt they'll get all those out this year, but considering their history with Rollin I would see many more coming out in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott MacDonald View Post
    They denied V.L. when asked a few months ago. Has something changed?
    I don't think so. The films financed by Artur Brauner (VL, She Killed In Ecstasy, The Devil Came From Akasava, X-312 Flight to Hell and Virgin Report) and "Night of the Skulls" came from a different source than the other Image titles. So I doubt Kino/Redemption will do them, but maybe they will do even more Eurocine and/or De Nesle titles (Ryan is right: "The Demons" and "Les Chatouilleuses" were confirmed already).

edit: wasn't "Daughter of Dracula" also announced by Kino/Redemption?
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-22-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Regarding ORLOFF AND THE INVISIBLE MAN, it certainly looks and feels like a Franco film to me, but I don't know what the facts are. Maybe Franco's biographer -- what's his name -- will sort out the matter in his forthcoming book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
    This is the first I've heard that most of these titles are being released. Not saying they aren't, but do you have a reference for this?
    A reference? No. Not specifically. Do read the questions after the list. I had read the same reports everybody else did, that Kino / Redemption had acquired the rights to the Image catalog of Franco films. So I listed the Franco titles released by Image and asked if anyone knew more or different. What they've acquired and what they plan to release may not be the same thing. They may not be interested in releasing Devil's Island Lovers and Night of the Skulls, for instance, even if they have acquired them, or if the rights are available and they didn't wan them. I don't know. Again, I was extrapolating and stating that I would buy every Franco title they release.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Regarding ORLOFF AND THE INVISIBLE MAN, it certainly looks and feels like a Franco film to me, but I don't know what the facts are.
    It was really directed by Pierre Chevalier, Franco had northing to do with it. And I must say it doesn't feel like a Franco film for me.

They may not be interested in releasing Devil's Island Lovers...
    In case they do this one, they will probably release the French version (on the Image DVD is the Spanish version), which would be very nice to have on DVD/BD.
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-22-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Regarding ORLOFF AND THE INVISIBLE MAN, it certainly looks and feels like a Franco film to me, but I don't know what the facts are. Maybe Franco's biographer -- what's his name -- will sort out the matter in his forthcoming book.

A reference? No. Not specifically. Do read the questions after the list. I had read the same reports everybody else did, that Kino / Redemption had acquired the rights to the Image catalog of Franco films. So I listed the Franco titles released by Image and asked if anyone knew more or different. What they've acquired and what they plan to release may not be the same thing. They may not be interested in releasing Devil's Island Lovers and Night of the Skulls, for instance, even if they have acquired them, or if the rights are available and they didn't wan them. I don't know. Again, I was extrapolating and stating that I would buy every Franco title they release.
    Oh hey dude, I meant no offense. I was just truly curious if you had heard something I hadn't. But I don't think they've "acquired the rights to the Image catalog of Franco films", they have a deal with Eurocine. Again, just pointing that out for the sake of curiosity and clarity, not trying to contradict you or be a jerk.

As for "Franco's biographer", I do believe that's him at posts #46, #48 and #49.
    Last edited by Jared A.; 05-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.