Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Creek

Wolf Creek

OK, so the original didn't reinvent the wheel or anything but I liked it. It had a nasty streak to it that was pretty effective but wasn't without moments of effective black humor. Kind of a cool Australian slant on what would otherwise be maybe a fairly typical American backwoods slasher/hillbilly horror movie.

It did well enough that a sequel is in the works. And I'm ok with that.

An Australian newspaper called The Age has an article up on the movie from earlier this month (thanks to Bloody Disgusting for posting the link).

Greg McLean is directing, Mick Taylor is back.

"Mclean believes the first film resonated so much because there is a little bit of Mick Taylor in all of us, and the opportunity to explore that a little more was what drew him back.

''I'm not really interested in gore and blood and stuff,'' says the Melbourne-based director, whose second feature, the $25 million crocodile film Rogue, might suggest otherwise. ''I'm interested in why the character connected with Australian audiences. It's not about being a horror film - it's because Mick is about something else, something deep and dark in the Australian psyche.''

He might be right, but it is also likely that part of what made Wolf Creek so successful was that nobody expected such an accomplished piece of genre filmmaking from a first-time director. This time around, though, Mclean knows he is dealing not just with a much bigger budget - about $7 million - but also with a great weight of anticipation from the fans."

Name:  art-jarratt-620x349.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  76.0 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

And it only took them about a decade for a sequel? Okay. I thought the original was good but it's tedious to sit through once you know who the killer is and it's all about waiting for the chaos to get into action. Good film just not very re-watchable.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    "Mclean believes the first film resonated so much because there is a little bit of Mick Taylor in all of us, and the opportunity to explore that a little more was what drew him back.

''I'm not really interested in gore and blood and stuff,'' says the Melbourne-based director, whose second feature, the $25 million crocodile film Rogue, might suggest otherwise. ''I'm interested in why the character connected with Australian audiences. It's not about being a horror film - it's because Mick is about something else, something deep and dark in the Australian psyche.''
    Didn't like the film much but just needed to say what a load of bollocks I think the above is. The film was a hit locally because it got mainstream distribution and was the most violent and unpleasant film in memory to do so. Audiences round these parts thought it was the most disgusting film ever made and thus a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    And it only took them about a decade for a sequel? Okay. I thought the original was good but it's tedious to sit through once you know who the killer is and it's all about waiting for the chaos to get into action.
    I think that applies to at least 50% of horror movies though. But in all fairness, I haven't rewatched it since I got the DVD years ago.

And Dom... so what you're saying is that the secret to box office success in Australia is nasty gore? That doesn't sound so different from the US!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    And Dom... so what you're saying is that the secret to box office success in Australia is nasty gore? That doesn't sound so different from the US!
    I think it was more specific than that. I don't know what the reaction to the film was over there but it was our Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The nastiest movie of all time... apparently. I am kind of surprised it's taken this long for a sequel though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    I think it was more specific than that. I don't know what the reaction to the film was over there but it was our Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The nastiest movie of all time... apparently. I am kind of surprised it's taken this long for a sequel though.
    It's interesting you make that analogy. Although I live in Ohio for work now, I'm a Texan (and always will be lol). For me (and most of the TX horror fans I've spoken to) Chainsaw has special place, not just because it's "nasty" but because there's something that resonates as "real" about it if you've spent much time in Texas. So when I read McClean's comment the first time, Chainsaw popped immediately to mind when I saw that phrase "something deep and dark in the Australian psyche."

Anyway, I know that has no bearing on why Wolf Creek (which I still haven't gotten around to seeing) was popular. Just thought it was interesting...

Possibly. There may be a difference here in that the Texas in Texas Chainsaw is relatable to Texans (I'm just assuming, never having been) but Wolf Creek exists in the desert. Most of Australia is desert but I've never actually seen it. That wouldn't be too unusual. This is one of the most urbanised countries on earth and the desert depicted in Aussie movies is as much a fairytale to us as it is to foriegners. Same goes for that kind of character. He's part of the Australian legend but almost all the people I know spend their days in suits.

Now the Matrix looks recognisable as the Australia I know.
    Last edited by Dom D; 02-27-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Possibly. There may be a difference here in that the Texas in Texas Chainsaw is relatable to Texans (I'm just assuming, never having been) but Wolf Creek exists in the desert. Most of Australia is desert but I've never actually seen it. That wouldn't be too unusual. This is one of the most urbanised countries on earth and the desert depicted in Aussie movies is as much a fairytale to us as it is to foriegners. Same goes for that kind of character. He's part of the Australian legend but almost all the people I know spend their days in suits.

Now the Matrix looks recognisable as the Australia I know.
    It's fascinating to hear that perspective. Despite the fact that my grandmother is Australian, most of my image of the country definitely comes from movies.

As far as Chainsaw goes... Although, like you say about Australia, most of us live in cities (I spent most of my life in and around Dallas) you can't go from one city to another with passing through some incredibly desolate landscape. So you'll be driving along and there will be just nothing and then all of a sudden you'll see some decrepit house on the horizon -- set way back from the highway -- and the Sawyer house is fairly typical of that "look". What's more, you have stop in some of those tiny towns sometimes and there can be such an oppressive sense of isolation that you get the sense that the people around are just a little "off" from what you're familiar with.

So, some people laugh when I talk about how "real" Chainsaw seems -- thinking I mean the cannibalism/chainsaw aspects to it. But most TX horror fans I've talked to can definitely relate to the sense that there are parts of the state that are still so wild and still so isolated that a family could just go twisted like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Apronikoff View Post
    As far as Chainsaw goes... Although, like you say about Australia, most of us live in cities (I spent most of my life in and around Dallas) you can't go from one city to another with passing through some incredibly desolate landscape. So you'll be driving along and there will be just nothing and then all of a sudden you'll see some decrepit house on the horizon -- set way back from the highway -- and the Sawyer house is fairly typical of that "look". What's more, you have stop in some of those tiny towns sometimes and there can be such an oppressive sense of isolation that you get the sense that the people around are just a little "off" from what you're familiar with.
    It's not just Texas though, you get that all over. Texas has the whole sandy/desert thing going on which makes it more desolate maybe but having grown up in Canada there are plenty of long stretches between cities featuring creepy houses set back from the road and I can remember as a kid just feeling that something was off and strange about places like that. One time in high school we went to explore one of them, an abandoned farm house that was rumored to have been the sight of a murder decades ago. The story was that you could go out there, get into the house and still see the blood all over the walls. So we drove out into the middle of nowhere with our VHS camcorders and started sneaking our way around - this was in broad daylight - and the owner of the property came around the corner with a shotgun drawn on us. He asked us what we were doing on his land, we told him why we'd come out there and asked if the story was true and he told us, without answering the question, to get off his property.

The weird thing is that there's no way the dude lived in the run down house, he had to have lived in the larger, more modern house on the same plot of land - which means he probably saw our car coming from the house he lived in, got his gun and wandered down to meet us, it wasn't a chance encounter with a shotgun wielding local yocal.

This has nothing to do with Wolf Creek or TCM but I guess in a way it ties into both in that those of us who have spent time in more rural areas can maybe relate to certain scenes in movies like this a little more?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Oh and I never did find out if anyone was actually killed in that house or if it was just an urban legend. When I drove by that place a couple of years ago when I was back visiting family, the old run down house had been torn down.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!