Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mario Bava

Yeah, I like Kino and love what they've been doing but not including the alternate cut is a big strike against this release. I know Leone perfers the Kidnapped cut - maybe that's why we got it?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Mario Bava

So it looks like I'm on a crusade here. Ha. I actually woke up this morning even more pissed over "Kino Lorber KIDNAPPED gate"!

So I did two things. The first was write this on Kino Lorber's Facebook wall:

"It's come to my attention that your Blu ray of Mario Bava's KIDNAPPED does not include (unlike the previous DVD) the RABID DOGS cut.

I (and many many others) will not be buying this. I consider the KIDNAPPED cut vastly inferior. If you had issued this with both cuts it would have been a day one purchase. If you had issued RABID DOGS alone it would have been a day one purchase.

Please keep this in mind if sales are soft. And if your reply is that this is the only cut the producer would allow us to issue, I would reply that some things are not worth doing at all if they are substandard."

...and the second was to ask Arrow vid if they'll be doing RABID DOGS properly. I feel a *little* better now. And thank God I have the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Cordier View Post
    So it looks like I'm on a crusade here. Ha. I actually woke up this morning even more pissed over "Kino Lorber KIDNAPPED gate"!

So I did two things. The first was write this on Kino Lorber's Facebook wall:

"It's come to my attention that your Blu ray of Mario Bava's KIDNAPPED does not include (unlike the previous DVD) the RABID DOGS cut.

I (and many many others) will not be buying this. I consider the KIDNAPPED cut vastly inferior. If you had issued this with both cuts it would have been a day one purchase. If you had issued RABID DOGS alone it would have been a day one purchase.

Please keep this in mind if sales are soft. And if your reply is that this is the only cut the producer would allow us to issue, I would reply that some things are not worth doing at all if they are substandard."

...and the second was to ask Arrow vid if they'll be doing RABID DOGS properly. I feel a *little* better now. And thank God I have the DVD.
    Yep, I'm going to hang on and see if Arrow are planning on releasing RABID DOGS now too. I'm also considering hanging fire on FIVE DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON, to see if there's an announcement from Arrow. I've been very pleased with their Bava titles so far.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

No sale. I prefer the RABID DOGS cut.

Let's hope Arrow will correct the deficiency.

After comparing Arrow's BLACK SABBATH (1963 with both versions) to Kino Lorber's BLACK SABBATH I decided to stick with Arrow for my Bava blu's.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

The review of BLACK SABBATH at Dvd Beaver shows Kino really fucked that one up! What are they doing over there?? Damn, I feel bad for US Bava fans that aren't region free.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ck_sabbath.htm

Yip. For all the problems ARROW have occasionally with their transfers, they struck gold again with Black Sabbath. I'm very wary of KINO.

There's a portion of this interview with restoration expert James White (the reason Arrow's transfers are so good now) that sheds some light on the possible reasons why Kino's Black Sabbath transfer is so fucked up.

Apparently the HD master was derived from a seriously flawed photochemical restoration done in Italy that left the film with plenty of printed-in damage, stability issues, and a milky colour scheme. I can only surmise that Kino did their colour correction without the proper research, aiming for something that looked correct without accounting for the frequently wild colour schemes that Bava often employed.

Of course it's possible that both companies were working from totally different HD masters but it seems unlikely.

"All I've made are big bullshits. No doubt about that."

Mario Bava.

Fulci had said something similar.

"All my life critics have called my art shit. Now they're calling my shit art."

Funny that two of masters regard the horror films as being below what they're capable of making. I wonder if Argento has a similar attitude.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    There's a portion of this interview with restoration expert James White (the reason Arrow's transfers are so good now) that sheds some light on the possible reasons why Kino's Black Sabbath transfer is so fucked up.

Apparently the HD master was derived from a seriously flawed photochemical restoration done in Italy that left the film with plenty of printed-in damage, stability issues, and a milky colour scheme. I can only surmise that Kino did their colour correction without the proper research, aiming for something that looked correct without accounting for the frequently wild colour schemes that Bava often employed.

Of course it's possible that both companies were working from totally different HD masters but it seems unlikely.

Thanks for tjhe link, Ignatius.

I'm thrilled Arrow is trying to get more Bava like WHIP & B&BL and would love a better NOTLD.